Hello everyone! Now that I’ve finally come from under the awesome crap that had been thrust upon me by Congressional redistricting, I want to comment on posts made on Blue Jersey regarding the BCDC and Lou Stellato and their efforts to find a strong candidate in the 5th CD.
But first there are some points that everyone has to understand as to how I view things:
1. What has happened in Bergen and how it affects Democrats would be happening to the Republicans if we had a Democratic Governor. But we don’t. So we’re left with a gigantic mess on our hands. Also what’s happening in NJ is happening in every state that has had major shifts in population.
2. What’s occurred as a result of redistricting has caused a series of events to take place that one would expect to see only in horror movies.
3. I don’t know how many of you had a disdain for what the BCDC stood for before Stellato, (then known as the BCDO), but mine was out of this world as my town was deeply affected by the bull crap of Ferriero and the damage he caused. Not to mention that I have a real problem with the unethical behaviors of leaders and had been trying to oust Joe long before I even became a member of his BCDO. I am a Democrat who is a loose cannon, not a die-hard loyalist to the party and certainly didn’t want Joe at the head because he reminded me of Boss Tweed.
4. After Ferriero left, the then BCDO found out that he really wasn’t such a great leader nor a great fund raiser after all and had left the organization with hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt.
5. Then came Mike Kasparian who didn’t know what to do, and things went from bad to “you have got to kidding me, right?” During that time, it appeared to me that the then BCDO was in a more confused state then when Mike first came on board. To me it was “who let the inmates out and how did they get control of the institution?” So I put my feet up and watched the lunacy, remaining the loose cannon and every now and then taking a cannon ball and throwing it when I felt the need. I even let my displeasure show over the choice of candidates as they were nothing more than Ferriero puppets and let the powers that be know that I had a hard time endorsing most of them. The most amusing aspect to all of this- was that I became known as a “TRAITOR” to the Democratic Party all the way down to Washington, DC! Seriously, that’s what happens when you buck the party line: YOU are labeled a traitor!!!
6. Exit Mike and enter this new guy, Lou Stellato. By then my reputation within the party was- “Laura Zucker is the biggest thorn in the side of the Bergen County Democrats and the Democratic Party.” Maybe being labeled a traitor by some of the powers that be had something to do with it, but I was still here and Joe and Mike were gone!
7. My first impression of Lou was, “OK, we have another inmate who has stepped forward and got nominated to be the head of the inmates.” Seriously that’s how I felt. So I again put my feet up on my desk to sit back and watch the fun. However, I soon received a call from Lou- something no other Leader of the former BCDO now known as the BCDC had ever done -and an open dialogue occurred between us.
I still have a lot of grievances with the BCDC that I will make known when the time is appropriate- like when I want to drop a “bomb” at a meeting when I think it’s needed. However, I really need to ask many of you: What in the name of sanity are all of you thinking when you attack Stellato about candidate selection in the 5th CD?
Good God, people, have you all lost your mind? Look, the reality is that this has been one major screw up after another having nothing, NOTHING, to do with Stellato or the BCDC.
This has been a comedy of errors from the beginning, starting with Connie Wagner. You couldn’t write a movie about this and think it would be believed because it’s just too ridiculous!
In my opinion, Wagner didn’t fit the profile of what we need in a candidate. Whoopee, she’s a liberal, so big whoop! She didn’t stand a chance in a district with republican leanings like the new fifth. Exit Wagner Stage Left who probably figured out the same thing. Then there was Harry Carson, who was running, and Jim McQueeny who was interested but didn’t want to run against Carson. Then we had Terry Duffy, who didn’t want to run against Carson or McQueeny if they ran. Then we have Adam Gussen and James Castle who are the young kids on the block, who just wanted to file for the Congressional run regardless of who else was running.
So someone tell me exactly where is Lou Stellato actually responsible for Carson’s brother dying and after a lot of soul searching, deciding to drop out, leaving McQueeny who announces he’s going to run, causing Duffy to withhold filing his papers (which one has to ask “what the hey? Why would he do that?” But hey I didn’t write this screen play); thereby leaving Stellato with McQueeny, Gussen and Castle.
Then McQueeny all but gets the nails screwed into him by business complications and he has to withdraw leaving- OMG! Gussen and Castle (the latter, who isn’t even in the Convention at this time).
You can’t make this stuff up! And all of this is Stellato’s fault? What the heck are you people on?
If we look at this realistically, anyone wanting to run for Congress usually has a year to think about it. He/She looks at the ramifications for their family (especially their children if they are very young) and puts out feelers to secure funding so that they can begin to get a war chest established prior to announcing while at the same time putting together a really good campaign team.
But NONE of this happened. We didn’t have a host of candidates preparing to run because no one knew how the redistricting would go, including STELLATO AND THE BCDC!
A liberal or a conservative candidate, in my opinion, and only in my opinion, won’t cut it in the new 5th CD. A viable centrist with 3 million dollars actually has a chance of knocking Garrett out.
So why don’t all of you spend your time and effort trying to find someone who YOU think is the best candidate to run and stop blaming a person and/or a group of people who have no control over life or death or circumstances just so that all of you have an outlet to project your own frustrations on by crowing about it on Blue Jersey.
Trust me, if Lou Stellato was responsible for this mess, I would have been one of the first to attack when the crap began to hit the wall – especially because I was one of the people whose lap some of the crap fell into.
Bottom line on this one: Stellato is not to blame! Wrong Church! Wrong Pew!