Corzine’s approval has dropped to 35%-42% this month, compared to a favorable 43%-21% approval rating last month. Voters aren’t happy about the budget, though 87% concede that Corzine inherited the state’s budget problems. Which leads to the obvious question: who the HECK are the other 13%? They think he created it? In three short months? That requires an intellect rivaled only by garden tools.
Across party lines, voters prefer to have state taxes raised rather than local taxes by a margin of 65%-19%. But 60% say that the penny sales tax hike is not needed, and by 54%-39%, voters want a 10% increase in their property tax rebates while 86% say that state aid to school districts should stay the same (50%) or increase (36%). Quinnipiac poll assistant director Clay Richards noted that “voters take the seemingly contradictory position of backing a hike in state taxes to avoid the almost inevitable property tax hike that would occur as a result of Corzine holding the line on aid to public schools and local governments.â€ Yep – sharp as a sack of wet mice.
An interesting finding in the poll is that voters support stem cell research by an overwhelming 73%-15% – even Republicans support it 61%-27% and by a 15 point margin, voters support spending upto $250 million to fund the research in the state. Only fundamentalist crazies would choose to save a petri dish of cells over life-saving medical advances. If there were ever a no-brainer wedge issue, this is it. Politicians shouldn’t be afraid to expose the narrow and selfish ideology of the John Ginty’s and “Right to Life”ers of the state.