- Democratic leaders say they’re ready to push through legislation approving “Civil Unions” to meet the Supreme Court deadline. The Family Council, an anti-equal marriage rights group, proposed an Equal Benefits Act which they called a “inclusive, nondiscriminatory” way to extend marriage benefits to both romantic and non-romantic partners; Steven Goldstein of Garden State Equality called it “dead upon arrival and an utter joke.”
- The federal investigation of former Newark mayor Sharpe James is expanding to include some real-estate deals.
Just once, I’d like to do a round-up where someone new wasn’t under investigation, or wasn’t having their investigation expanded. -sigh-
- The Communication Workers of America protested the proposed cuts in benefit packages for future state employees. (Betcha didn’t see that coming!) The union is arguing that benefits should be decided in collective bargaining, not by legislative decree.
- A Mercer County Judge dismissed 20 criminal cases which have not had an indictment in order to ease the backlog in the courts. The Trenton Police Department is being criticized as a major reason for the backlog, for not having officers show up at grand jury hearings; the department says it will take steps to ensure their attendance.
- Officials have identified a third woman whose body was found in a drainage ditch near Atlantic City recently. A “person of interest” is being sought, based on a cell phone photo.
- Under a new bill, posing as a band without at least one original member would become a violation of the Consumer Protection Act, with hefty fines. Pretending to be a classic band is a “sophisticated form of identity theft,” said some guy who looked like Bowzer from Sha Na Na.
- For Rutgers football, the difference between winning and losing this weekend is about $1.2 million, because of the difference between a big-time bowl game on national TV and a lesser-known postseason game on a small cable channel. Plus, there’s the hopes of thousands of alumni. That’s a whole lotta pressure to dump on a bunch of college guys. Good Luck!
Open Thread: What’s on your minds today, Blue Jersey?