David Frum, the former Bush Speechwriter who was fired from the American Enterprise Institute for criticizing the Republican Party, offered a commentary on NPR’s “Marletplace,” on 10/27.
“I know, I know, I know! There’s Christine O’Donnell, Rand Paul and Sharron Angle. Never mind Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin and Fox News. There’s the crazy guy in Texas who says that revolution is “on the table.” And anyway, what kind of fiscally conservative party campaigns on a pledge to protect Medicare exactly as it is? … “Yet I will, nevertheless, be voting the straight Republican ticket on Nov. 2 …
Unlike Frum, I am voting a straight Democratic ticket. I know that:
- Joe Miller handcuffed a reporter who asked a question he didn’t like,
- Carl Paladino exercises his right to free speech and transmit racist jokes and pornographic e-mails,
- Christine O’Donnell doesn’t understand that the phrase “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof” establishes a separation of church and state,
- Sharron Angle believes in “Second Amendment remedies” to election results and
- Rand Paul appears to condone violence and intimidation –
and that’s part of it.