The Big Story
Take your next door neighbor with you. Offer a ride to that lady across the street who doesn’t walk very well anymore. Ask that guy at work who always complains about the conservative pundits if he voted before work or is going after. Remind people that voting is the most important thing we do in a democracy. Don’t let something so silly as rain make a difference. Get out the vote!
- Regardless of how the votes go, there will be a lot of new faces in the legislature in the next term.
- Big names weigh in on the debate over the stem cell Ballot Question.
- Our Fair State’s health is getting worse, and our health care system needs some work. We have low rates of prenatal care and increasing numbers of uninsured compared to the rest of the country. Truly a painful embarrassment.
- It won’t be formally announced until next spring, but the 511 system for traffic information is fully operational. It’s a free call, too!
- The new Green Governor: Jon Corzine.
- A fine for using your cell phone or texting while driving? Long overdue. Hang up and drive!
Around The Towns
- That budget estimation that the Hamilton town council and mayor went to court over? It shows a $5 million shortfall.
- Planning for the expansion of Valley Hospital in Ridgewood is far from over.
- Atlantic City Dems might pick a new mayor this Friday.
- The U.S.-Peruvian trade agreement heads for a full House vote tomorrow. Proponents say Our Fair State stands to benefit with a high concentration of Peruvian-American and Hispanic businesses; others see our jobs being exported.
- Pakastani-Americans in Our Fair State are divided in opinion over last week’s presidential declaration of a state of emergency.
Check back with Blue Jersey all day to read stories from the field, and to tell your own. This is an open thread: Tell us what you’re seeing out there!