Tuesday’s primary is for all General Assembly seats, two seats for each Legislative District (LD), and one State Senate seat. Without a president, governor or a federal candidate in the race, the turnout is likely to be about as low as it can get. Some winners may succeed with as few as 100 votes. So getting out the vote and your own vote can make the difference.
In the Democratic-held Assembly primary seats the Dem incumbents have the line, and they have the money. In only 11 Democratic-held legislative districts are there one or more Dem challengers. The challengers don’t get the favorable line and have more difficulty raising funds. And so it goes in New Jersey.
Below are the Assembly seats where Democratic incumbents have a challenger
- LD 3 Incumbents JOHN J BURZICHELLI and ADAM TALIAFERRO challenged by JOHN KALNAS.
- LD 6 Incumbents LOUIS D GREENWALD and PAMELA R LAMPITT challenged by DANIE MOSS-VELASCO and E. JULIAN JORDAN III.
- LD 15 Incumbents VERLINA REYNOLDS-JACKSON and ANTHONY S VERRELLI challenged by ALEX BETHEA.
- LD 17 Incumbents JOE DANIELSEN and JOSEPH V EGAN challenged by RON RIVERS.
- LD 20 Incumbents ANNETTE QUIJANO and JAMEL C HOLLEY challenged by KENNETH JONES.
- LD 22 Incumbents JAMES KENNEDY and LINDA CARTER challenged by CARLOS A RIVAS and MARK A LIGHTEN.
- LD 28 Incumbents CLEOPATRA TUCKER and RALPH R CAPUTO challenged by STEPHEN BURD.
- LD 29 Incumbents ELIANA PINTOR MARIN and SHANIQUE DAVIS-SPEIGHT challenged by STEVE JOSE POVEDA and AWAIS QAZI.
- LD 32 Incumbents ANGELICA M JIMENEZ and PEDRO MEJIA challenged by ROGER QUESADA and MAHMOUD MAHMOUD.
- LD 34 incumbents THOMAS P GIBLIN and BRITNEE N TIMBERLAKE challenged by SIMONE J JELKS-BANDISON.
- LD 36 Incumbents GARY S SCHAER and CLINTON CALABRESE challenged by EDWARD TOLGA GONCA.
The State Senate race is in LD 1 where incumbent Democratic State Senator BOB ANDRZEJCZAK has no Democratic challenger. However, he will face Republican MIKE TESTA who has no Republican challenger in the General Election. This seat was previously held by Jeff Van Drew (D) who is now in the US House of Representatives. The General Election race might well be close because registered Republicans outnumber Democrats, and through March 31 Testa raised $133,500 while Andrzejczak raied $23,130.
In all cases where the incumbent is Republican there are one or more Democratic candidates in the primary. In LD 25 there is only one Democratic incumbent, ANTHONY M BUCCO, in the primary and one vacant seat, with Democrats LISA BHIMANI and DARCY DRAEGER in the contest.
In total there are 97 Dems and 82 Republicans in the contest.
NJ Division of Elections Official Candidates