Congressmembers Deb Haaland & Sharice Davids embrace after being sworn in as the first two Native American Congresswomen. (Reuters / Brian Snyder)
- House party: One of the most joyous Native parties of the century was held at a D.C; Hyatt on Thursday, the first day Native women – two! – served on Capitol Hill
- CD11: It won’t always be this easy to succeed just doing the opposite of what Frelinghuysen did. But on this one thing, it is. Mondays with Mikie, and Rep. Sherrill’s first town hall.
- After AOC was on 60 Minutes the right had itself a little nutty:The conservative response to Ocasio-Cortez’s tax proposal has been embarrassingly deceptive.
Networks are giving Trump time tonight to bullshit America about the ‘emergency’ need for a border wall.
Green New Deal is PRIORITY: This is the most important issue for the 116th Congress, and younger voters make clear to anyone who listens that it is the most important issue of their lifetimes. The center of gravity on this issue has already passed to young voters – no, they have seized it, as is their right – and they are making reasonable demands – on Congress, and on all of us. The Green New Deal is sensible. Focused. Bold. So where are our New Jersey congressional representatives?
Confronting the U.S. Census as a Weapon of White Supremacy. Trump intends to add a question to the next Census. But that’s not the only problem. By RVCC professor & author of Dismantling the Racism Machine: A Manual and Toolbox, Karen Gaffney PhD
Frank Pallone hints at a new committee assignment – for Bonnie Watson Coleman.
Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam grant executive clemency on the life sentence of Cyntoia Brown, who has already served 15 years in prison.
The first ever charter school strike in the nation – it was last month in Chicago.
You’ll get your tax refund even if the government shutdown continues.
Trump’s government shutdown is already hurting New Jersey. It could get worse, impacting businesses, Coast Guard paychecks, food stamps for those already financially struggling
- When NJ Dem legislative leadership fights with the Dem governor, instead of enabling him like during the Christie years. The 4 fronts of New Jersey political battles.
- Moran: Sweeney, like Murphy, is caught in dark money web. Time to clean house.
- Proxy Battle: The latest sign of division in the state Democratic party
- Swap one out, swap one in. Think anyone will notice? It’s a game of musical chairs in LD1 after Van Drew heads to Washington.
- PREACH Karen Haskin of STAND Central NJ! Trump’s presidency will end very soon, but it won’t mean our work is done.
- Microplastic pollution. Where it comes from, and what NJ river it’s in.
- It was a good night in Burlington County. Democrats end GOP stranglehold on Mt Laurel politics
- Jim McGreevey is fired in Jersey City. What will be the next iteration of the former governor’s career?
- 45 towns have preemptively blocked marijuana dispensaries. About the towns bucking legalization.
- I am shocked—shocked—to find that Craig Coughlin takes a hard line on the hot water the dark money group aligned with Phil Murphy’s gotten itself into.
- The classy & wise thing the Dems newly in control in Morris Twp just did.** A very different set of decisions from nearby Mendham Twp.
- Incoming! Katie Brennan files suit against the state, the Murphy campaign, and Al Alvarez
- New Jersey has even more Dems now than it did on election day
REHEARSALS FOR RETIREMENT
This New Yorker cartoon by Karl Stevens:
** A member of my household worked on the Democratic campaign in Morris Township (I’d be mentioning this story even if he hadn’t).