Cory Booker makes national news at Kavanaugh hearing
Defying threats of expulsion from the Senate, Booker released emails & documents in Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh’s paper trail all day, documents the Republicans didn’t intend to make public. Democrats say Republicans are ramming this nomination through, with documents denied them, dumped on them with no time to read them, and documents that are still arriving as the last day of the hearing concluded. This, as the contentious Kavanaugh confirmation hearing continued in Senate Judiciary, with a showdown between Cory Booker and Texas Republican John Cornyn, who threatened Booker with expulsion from the Senate for breaking the confidentiality documents stamped CONFIDENTIAL by the Republicans. Included in the documents: Kavanaugh’s apparent opinion that Roe v. Wade is not settled law, and his attitudes toward racial profiling and affirmative action, one facet of which he called a “naked racial set-aside.” Keeping Kavanaugh off the high court would require just two of the Republicans to flip. Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) will not support a nominee who would overturn Roe; Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) is also an abortion rights defender. The Republicans hurried to say they had already decided to make those documents available to the public before Booker’s challenge, which seemed to stand in opposition to what viewers were watching live in the committee room, Republicans threatening the senator for even threatening to release those very documents.
Cory Booker’s Senate rules drama, explained (Washington Post)
GOP mocks Booker’s ‘Spartacus’ moment (The Hill)
Booker’s ‘I am Spartacus’ Act of Defiance in Kavanaugh SCOTUS Hearing (Blue Jersey)
Also worth your read: Kamala Harris grills Kavanaugh on Mueller investigation (CNN) & Kamala Harris Stumps Brett Kavanaugh with Marriage Equality Question (The Advocate)
Read the documents leaked by Booker:
Midterms & 2020
- Hugin Bus parked nearby: Hudson comes out swinging – Murphy, Sacco and Stack in Menendez’s Corner
- Vin Gopal to Ocean Chair: Don’t use any of my contribution for Freeholder candidate Teddy Price, Hugin-endorser
- Troy Singleton’s criticism of Teddy Price looped in Confederate flag-posing Asm Parker Space
- Profiles in Courage: CD4 Dem Josh Welle has ‘no opinion’ on Price
- 2020 Watch: Cory Booker to headline Dem rally in Tennessee
How much are you paying for President Donald Trump’s golf habit?
Tiny Balls: $77 million – so far – for Trump’s golf outings: Trump has spent 25% of his days in office at one of his golf properties. $300,675 just for golf cart rentals alone, so Secret Service can follow him around the links
- At Elijah’s Promise in New Brunswick, Phil Murphy recommits to $15 minimum wage, Craig Coughlin beside him
- New Jersey to investigate allegations of sexual abuse by Catholic priests, following explosive PA grand jury report
- The answer is Yes. Is it time for NJ to license undocumented drivers?
- Where’s your Governor? In Red Bank at 11am
- Miss America: Signs appear in Atlantic City calling former Fox News host & Miss America chair Gretchen Carlson a liar.
- Miss America: Lawsuit claims organization hasn’t paid its bills
- Hudson County signals end to controversial ICE contract
- This is infuriating: How NJ boosts profits for charter school developers (Bob Braun)
- Newark: Controversy and viral video after uniform violations get kids tossed from charter school
- Open Letter to NJ Sen. Ruiz re: Teacher Evaluation and Test Scores (Jersey Jazzman)
Booker featured photo: Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images