With 76 days until midterm elections and with money flying into NJ for candidates in both parties, read about today’s New Jersey Quinnipiac poll. “Time is fleeting,” while nationally “madness takes its toll.” (You can often count on a quote from The Rocky Horror Picture Show.) Below is what the polls and rankings are telling us.
- Senate race: “It’s s developing into a horse race as Democratic incumbent U.S. Sen. Robert Menendez leads former pharmaceutical executive Bob Hugin, his Republican challenger, by a slim 43 – 37 percent.”
- Governor Murphy: “Voters approve 54 – 32 percent of the job Murphy is doing, up from 44 – 23 percent March 13.”
- Senator Booker: “Voters approve 56 – 31 percent of the job U.S. Sen. Cory Booker is doing, compared to 59 – 31 percent March 13. Voters say 51 – 37 percent that Booker should not run for president.”
- President Trump: “He gets a big negative 33 – 63 percent job approval rating.”
- Legalized Marijuana: “Voters support 62 – 33 percent allowing adults to legally possess small amounts of marijuana for personal use, compared to 59 – 37 percent March 13.”
August 15 national poll: “Trump hurts GOP as Dems hold 9-pt. lead in House races; U.S. must do more on climate change, voters say 2-1.”
August 14 national poll: “U.S. voters dislike Trump almost 2-1; media is important to democracy, 65% of voters say.”
OTHER RECENT POLLS AND RACE RATINGS
- Monmouth Poll CD 3: Poll of 8/7 – 8/9: Incumbent Tom MacArthur (R): 44 vs. Andy Kim (D) 45. – Kim +1.
- Gravis Poll of 7/6 – 7-10 NJ Senate race. Incumbent Robert Menendez (D) 43 vs.Bob Hugin (R) 41. – Menendez +2.
- Real Clear Politics Senate Map. Menendez race Leans Democratic.
- Real Clear Politics House Map:
- CD 02: Likely Democratic: Open seat. Jeff Van Drew (D) vs. Seth Grossman (R).
- CD 03: Republican Toss Up: Incumbent Tom MacArthur (R) vs. Andy Kim (D).
- CD 05: Likely Democratic: Incumbent Josh Gottheimer (D) vs. John McCann (R).
- CD 07: Republican Toss Up: Incumbent Leonard Lance (R) vs. Tom Malinowski (D).
- CD 11: Republican Toss Up: Open seat. Mikie Sherrill (D) vs Jay Webber (R). NOTE: Latest Monmouth poll of 6/22 – 6-25 had Sherrill +4. In the one case where the Cook Report differs from Real Clear Politics, Cook Report: Leans Democratic.
Trump’s madness, yesterday particularly noticeable, will continue, but midterm races will soon conclude so carpe diem.