Hot, Hot, Hot
Rep. Bill Pascrell fell ill with heat exhaustion while visiting a firehouse, surrounded by people who knew what to do. He’s now out of the hospital and wants everybody to remember to stay hydrated. #FirstRespondersFTW
Patriotism & Resistance
Therese Patricia Okoumou climbed up the base of the Statue of Liberty, and said she would stay up ‘until all children were released’. For hours she moved around the base, evading capture. When she was caught, she was placed in federal custody and has a court appearance this morning. A widespread call went out for court support for her this morning. #Resistance
Donald Trump is King George: The Declaration of Independence, approved by our Founding Fathers on July 4, 1776, included an indictment against the monarchy for its treatment of the American colonists, and was the precursor of the War of Independence. The declaration provides a striking resemblance to the current monarch’s treatment of the descendants of those colonists. Frank Askin makes the case.
Independence Day – Brought to you by the Agitators, and the Fighters Back – This is our country, not the place Donald Trump, Jefferson Sessions, Mike Pence and that over-privileged, promoted-above-his-station Jersey boy Jared Kushner would make of it.
White Americans: this 4th of July, let’s confront the myths we’ve been taught about America (Karen Gaffney)
Q-poll: Trump will hate the words Americans use to describe his policy of breaking up families seeking asylum. Sad. Terrible. Bad. Wrong. Disgusted.
Roger León, the first Newark schools superintendent the city’s BOE has been allowed to choose for themselves in 20 years, is homegrown and educated in the schools he will now run. About damn time.
In case you missed your hometown’s parade, here’s Mooretown’s, courtesy Deciminyan.
- It’s not just Snooki. Phil Murphy revives the film tax credit. NJTV has the story
- Murphy signs civic info bill: creating a $5M nonprofit dedicated to strengthening local media in NJ
- Law that would put 5-cent fee on plastic, paper bags up in the air as Governor decides
- Murphy signs law divorcing police/firefighter pension system from that of other NJ/local public workers
- Phil Murphy signs major transgender rights bills, and it makes national news
- Carl Golden: Steve Sweeney, practitioner of political dark arts, is the winner, Murphy the loser
- Where’s your Governor? He had a beach day yesterday No public schedule today
- Budget earmarks funds to build affordable homes in NJ – but plenty more of the funds are still diverted