MIDTERMS / PRIMARY
DNC Rules & Bylaws Committee meets today, and appears heading to a decision to drastically change the Party’s superdelegate system, which played a significant role in Party elites providing a base of support for Hillary Clinton even before other candidates were in the race. House Democrats are furious that some of their control in the DNC’s less-than-democratic system is being challenged. Put in the Midterms section because how the Democratic Party itself is seen matters for both 2018 & 2020.
- First time I’ve ever seen Hunterdon County shaded blue in a map: Check out NJ Spotlight’s interactive map on D & R voter turnout
- Mike Kelly: Time for Bob Menendez for apologize for unethical gift taking
- Menendez Middlesex primary edge analyzed
- More on NJ & national midterms – CD11, CD2, CD7 and CD3 & CD5, and what about CD4?
- Does the apple fall far from the tree? Palisades Park NJ mayor’s mother goes on racist tirade against Korean people after primary
SO NOT NEW JERSEY
Oh I wish my parents were here to see this: Athens, Georgia’s new County Commissioner is sworn in with her fist raised, and her hand not on the Bible but a well-worn copy of The Autobiography of Malcolm X, held by her mother. Mariah Parker says she is a progressive who is openly queer, and she ran for office on a platform of economic justice, reducing poverty and discrimination, affordable housing, fair wage jobs, youth development, criminal justice reform and marijuana reform. She won by just 13 votes. Every. vote. counts.
Milquetoast language from Nancy Pelosi, who says Medicare for All should be “evaluated” if the Dems win the House
NASA’s Mars Rover finds complex organic molecules in the Gale Crater on Mars. It’s 3.5 billion years old.
Chilly with a chance of storms: Things are not going well at the G7 summit, a gathering of ‘allies’ and it won’t surprise you to know Donald Trump is the problem. Allies are are furious with Trump’s trade policies, and he’s been indulging in a twitter war with French president Emmanuel Macron (with which he had a bad phone call) and Canadian PM Justin Trudeau (who’d fight with him?) on the subject. Trump’s leaving the summit early, skipping sessions on climate change & environment, flying early to Singapore for his meeting with Kim Jong Un.
Lordy, this is mighty worrisome: What Happens a Bad Termpered Distractible Doofus Runs an Empire?
The timing was just … coincidental: Jeff Van Drew finally voted on those 6 gun bills, along with the rest of the Senate, that the Assembly passed two months ago. It went like you think it went. Welcome to the Swamp.
- Nearly a dozen activists campaigning for driver’s licenses for immigrants, regardless of legal status, on their 300-mile trek across NJ.
- NJ lawmakers go all in on sports betting, law awaits Murphy’s signature
- Why Phil Murphy really wants to raise the sales tax, and why he froze state spending
- NJ moves to ban marriage for anyone under 18
- The legal weed bill we’ve all been waiting for is here – but can it pass?
- State poised to allow more gender options on birth & death certificates
- Closer to compromise: Can Sweeney and Murphy reach closure on school funding?
- Senate Majority Leader Weinberg Loretta Weinberg supports Dick Codey & Leonard Lance disclosing the terms of a 2004 sexual harassment settlement between NJ senator Anthony Bucco and a former staffer. But Codey says he and Lance weren’t party to the settlement.
AROUND NEW JERSEY
- F*ck yeah, they don’t like me, Trenton mayoral candidate Paul Perez says of the Democratic Party
- Next NJDSC Progressive Caucus meeting & Caucus elections – Saturday, June 16
- Some good news? Beaches in South Jersey will remain open if state government shuts down
- Jersey City Councilman blasted for ‘homophobic’ Facebook post
- Ocean Township: Mayor flirts with idea of town buying building where Yeshiva is planned
- And in Maplewood, the new rainbow crosswalks are meant to send a message, and brightly alert drivers to pedestrians. NJ.com explains: