Headline of the Day and what I most wanted / didn’t want to read:
House & U.S. Senate are out of session, back on 4/10 – which probably means you might see them back here shaking babies and kissing hands.
Where’s your Gov? At 10:30am, at a Roundtable with students, announcing year-one details of his Tuition-Free Community College Plan
Hello, Kevin Riordan
Two Blue Jerseyans took issue with Kevin Riordan’s Inky column complaining about the tax impact of Phil Murphy’s budget. Brian K Everett takes issue with his newspaper idol; Murphy’s progressive leap forward matters more to him than the sting to his wallet. And Stephen Danley craves a more thoughtful discussion on taxes, based on research and evidence over Econ 101 bromides.
- CD11: Rodney walks, Mikie gets Uncle Joe’s nod, and the latest Republican to jump in promises to vote the way constituents order him to
- Sorting out the primary pack for NJ’s midterm congressional races – at WHYY
- Voter reg: Democrats outpace GOP voter registration by 3-1 margin
Gov. Murphy was met with an angry crowd at last night’s town hall in Willingboro with complaints over how school funding is distributed
Making sure Murphy administration prioritizes environmental justice: Activists argue poor communities of color have been adversely affected by pollution in all its forms for far too long
We oughta be in pictures. A tax credit program for the film industry – killed by Christie when he didn’t like how the state was portrayed in Jersey Shore – may be restored. Senators Weinberg and Sarlo, both from Bergen, are out front in the effort, with Weinberg working with the Fort Lee Film Commission in her district to promote it. But – Did you know the movies were born in Fort Lee?
- Max Pizarro on the exit of policy guy Bob Gordon from the New Jersey Senate
- With Bob Gordon leaving NJ Senate for BPU, Bergen chair Lou Stellato picked Asm Joe Lagana to move up. Tim Eustace endorsed him.
- Senate President Steve Sweeney names Diegnan, Singleton and Gopal to leadership positions in the exit of Bob Gordon
- If it’s true that Eustace laid down the gauntlet for the Senate seat Lagana will get, he may be on his way out of the Legislature, probably to an authority. That would be a big loss for New Jersey.
Around New Jersey
Or order things from Amazon. Newark will be the 4th city in the world — and the first in New Jersey — to provide high-speed wifi “Link” kiosks that will allow pedestrians to charge their phones, make a call or download music and movies, free of charge.
Denver wishes. Will legal weed make Asbury Park the next Denver?
The good news is the buffet’s now 4 cents, the bad news is we’ve utterly destroyed that place for most of the people who live there. 2017 Atlantic City visitation lowest since 1982
New Yorker cartoon above by Jason Chatfield & Scott Dooley