- On a pre-inauguration stop, Phil Murphy answered Trump’s trash-talking people from Haiti or Africa. Video.
- Southern Poverty Law Center annotated the White House statement justifying Trump’s shithole remarks. And it’s a thing of beauty.
- Go visit Shithole.net
Bernie Sanders will host a 90-min town hall January 23 on his Medicare-for-All proposal, going outside traditional media to discuss healthcare in depth. This is now the national healthcare plan that Sen. Cory Booker supports as a co-sponsor. Here’s an event link, it will also be live streamed on Sanders own social media sites, as well as NowThis, ATTN:, and The Young Turks.
Trump and the porn star. President Donald Trump’s longtime attorney denied that Trump had a sexual encounter with a porn star after a report by The Wall Street Journal on Friday alleged the lawyer helped facilitate a six-figure payment to the actress in October 2016 in exchange for her silence. While we’re at it, SNL.
One of the best things I’ve read all week: Rutgers expert: How your health will suffer when science is denied
- CD7 Dem candidate Peter Jacob writes about Martin Luther King, ‘one of the greatest human beings America ever produced’ in Medium
- CD7 Dem candidate Tom Malinowski writes I Blew the Whistle on Russian Meddling. Now I’m Running for Congress.
- CNN lists CD2 as a flippable seat due to LoBiondo’s retirement, one in their list of 10.
- State of New Jersey’s official celebration of King’s life is Monday 3pm at the New Jersey State Museum in Trenton (free admission)
- Christie, Murphy, Booker, Menendez unite to fight Trump’s plan to drill off the Jersey shore
- These 2 high school football players who did the right thing when they saw 3 dogs who’d been left out in frigid temperatures New Years Eve
- Gottheimer introduces bipartisan legislation calling for federal support to build new Hudson River commuter rails
- These 10 districts will battle the state on school funding
BUH-BYE, CHRIS CHRISTIE. HELLO GOV. MURPHY
I’m not sure the resistance to Trump needs another leader, but Phil Murphy wants to be that – among many other things. Charles Stile on what Murphy will bring to the table.
- USA Today goes to Gannett partner The Record and Al Doblin for this Chris Christie rise-and-fall story
- Phil Murphy: A Kennedy acolyte seeking to rush into the fire of Trenton politics
- Dustin Racioppi’s key takeaways in speaking with Murphy
- Sometimes weird stuff happens on Inauguration Day here
- Christie gets a proper kiss-off from The Record. And WNYC. And cartoonist Drew Sheneman (his work above).
- Murphy’s 5-day schedule of inauguration events
- Murphy’s education commissioner pick is the Superintendent in Asbury Park
- Murphy on NJ Transit: ‘A lot of work to do.’
- Full transcript of NJ.com’s pre-inaugural interview with Murphy, including about those shoes.
- Christie deserves this and all other mocking. So here’s Star-Ledger’s ranking of the 40 best Christie beach memes
Chris Christie pardons a campaign donor. Among 26 pardon’s in Christie’s Friday night news dump was one for John Pjeternikaj, who gave $4k to Christie’s campaign and another $1k for his inauguration, and also wrote big checks for Christie’s presidential campaign and the NJ Republican party. Pieternikaj was convicted in 1982 on charges of unlawful sale of a weapon, arrested after a 10-month undercover investigation by the Bergen County Prosecutor’s office that netted a cache of firearms, explosives and two silencers. Here’s more on other people Christie pardoned.