Rest in Peace – Sgt. First Class Mihail Golin, who lived in Fort Lee, was killed Monday in Afghanistan in a firefight. Our sympathy to the family. He was a Green Beret who joined the military just a year after coming to the U.S. from Latvia. His father can’t understand why our military is still at risk there after two decades of fighting: “I don’t understand. This Afghanistan, some small country, what are they doing over there?” he asked. “Why are we losing our kids over there? … What for? That’s the main question.”
Be safe, Blue Jersey: Blizzard warnings in parts of NJ today, 50 mph wind gusts possible. Christie declares state of emergency in 4 counties
Death Be Not Proud, and all other titles: Readers are mourning the death of Fred Bass, owner of the (glorious) Strand Book Store, NYC
NOTHING TO SEE HERE, MOVE ALONG
From Sue Altman and Susan Druckenbrod, organizers from South Jersey Women for Progressive Change: That photo of George Norcross striding into Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago New Year’s Eve party. That’s about a lot more than how some rich Jersey guy spends his leisure time. Why do Democrats allow this to continue? Plus – backup material from Medium: The Democrat SuperDelegate Behind Trump and Christie
Deep state fever dreams: Eric Trump suggests Ellen DeGeneres is running a shadow government (Newsweek)
- Must have made Mike Pence all squirmy: Pence swears in Doug Jones as gay son looks on. Carson Jones, watching Pence. (Advocate)
- Some Trump supporters think Mueller’s Grand Jury has too many black people on it
- Nothing that will interrupt plans to get Chelsea a House seat: Little fire, in a detached building on the Clintons’ Chappaqua estate
- Trump to Hope Hicks about Corey Lewandowski in 2016: You’re the “best piece of tail” he will ever have.
- Because that’ll make it all go away: Paul Manafort files lawsuit against the Justice Dept. and Mueller
- He’s baaaaaack: David Wildstein re-emerges, as himself this time. His new website
- Not even a hint of irony: Trump on Bannon: He’s ‘lost his mind.’
- Not helpful, but funny: Dear F*cking Lunatic: An open letter to Donald Trump (Daily Kos)
- Useful (somewhat terrifying) info: The nuclear football, what do you need to get that to go, besides a lunatic POTUS?
Some laws were broken when Hillary Clinton and her aides transmitted classified information through her insecure private email server, Republican lawmakers told The Hill as several congressional committees study the FBI’s handling of the Clinton email scandal. Evidence includes passages in FBI documents stating the “sheer volume” of classified information that flowed through Clinton’s insecure emails was proof of criminality as well as an admission of false statements by one key witness in the case. That witness? An employee of a computer firm that helped maintain her personal server after she left the State Dept., and who belatedly admitted he had permanently erased an archive of her messages in 2015 after they had been subpoenaed by Congress.
MORE from THE APPRENTICE
- AGJeff Sessions is rescinding the Obama-era policy that had paved the way for legalized marijuana to flourish in states across the country
- Sessions names Christie ally Craig Carpenito as interim U.S. Attorney for New Jersey
UNDER the DOME
Votes planned for today are postponed for weather: Schedule included: Tax credits for Amazon worth minimum $3 Billion, subsidies for NJ’s nuclear power industry, more residential development in the protected Highlands region. All state offices are closed. Senate will meet tomorrow, see the committee schedule as a scroll at the top of this page, Assembly has not yet published their schedule.
GOV-ELECT PHIL MURPHY
- Gov. Kean: Don’t rush bailout of PSEG’s nuclear plants. Wait for Murphy
- Murphy names transit a ‘national disgrace.’ Can he fix it?
- Murphy: Gateway letter ‘fairly sobering,’ but ‘cooler heads will prevail
- The uncomfortable convo you have to have with whoever you back for Congress: Deciminyan brings it up now, for CD3
- But he supports the guy who would kill it: Frelinghuysen: Trump administration needs to show ‘vision’ on Gateway
- I’d take that bet: Democrat Lindsay Brown running as a Republican says Democrats will never beat Lance
HEADLINE of the DAY – goes to NJ.com
- Census: Gap between rich and poor in NJ getting worse
- Been scammed by E-ZPass fines? You might get it back
- Gas stations employ 10,000 attendants: Should New Jersey allow drivers to pump their own gas?
- New Jersey, will you match this? Several members of the freshman class of state delegates whose historic wins stunned Virginia’s political world in November are forming a caucus intended to reduce corporate money in state politics.
A lot going on in my household this morning. Sorry for the late Roundup. Did I miss something? Let us know in the Comments. This is also an Open Thread. What’s on your mind today?
Featured photo: Todd Maisel/NY Daily News