Whoa, I sure did a double-take when I saw NJ Spotlight headline saying the PennEast Pipeline was necessary. Because it’s not. (I missed the blue text that said ‘sponsored content’). Need coffee.
- For the powers that be in Union County, endorsement in CD7 involves rivalries and turf battles
- Andy Kim raised over $600k so far in his bid to run against Tom MacArthur; $345k of that in the last quarter
- A year ago, it was the largest single-day demonstration in recorded history. What will the Women’s March, now focused on the midterms, be like on the first anniversary next weekend the 20th?
So it’s fine if drilling off the New Jersey coast ruins our tourism, as long as Florida’s tourism is protected; they get an exemption from drilling from the Trump administration. Bob Menendez and Cory Booker and about 3 dozen other Democratic senators have hard questions for Trump’s Interior Secretary. Two of New Jersey’s Republicans also have made their objections known
GOVERNOR PHIL MURPHY
- Then Muhammad must go to the mountain: Murphy to Sweeney’s swearing in, turf hosted by Norcrosses, to make nice
- Last month, Murphy called NJ Transit a ‘national disgrace.’ Now there’s a purge of political appointment senior staffers resigning at his request
- “Stuff.” And “important stuff” was all a reporter could get out of Sweeney or Coughlin, about what was discussed when Murphy met with legislative leaders
- First Muslim to serve on a governor’s cabinet in NJ history. That will be Shereef Elnahal, if confirmed as Murphy’s state health commissioner
- Murphy’s got a pretty swank house in Monmouth, but he hasn’t said yet whether he’ll stay home or move the fam to Drumthwacket. His Middletown neighbors say the choice is easy
AROUND THE STATE
- If you’re expecting a tax refund this year, get ready to wait
- A Wall Street ratings agency says NJ and its local governments will be fighting pressures on multiple fronts to deal with the expiration of a key property tax control, the Trump tax law and rising pension bills.
- Interactive map: Check your town, Are your property taxes up or down?
- They want in on the weed business: Jersey City and Asbury Park
- Senate Republican Whip Joe Pennaccio is concerned legal weed will mean stoned drivers
- Garfield is taking steps to ban marijuana sales there
- More NJ Transit: Commuting is hell when they can’t get parts fast enough to keep cars in service.
- NJ Dreamers cautiously optimistic after a federal judge blocks Trump’s plan to end DACA – legislation is still needed
- Baljinder Singh of Carteret was stripped of his U.S. citizenship after a federal judge ruled that he failed to disclose a previous deportation order on his naturalization application
- Maria Rodriguez-Gregg, former LD8 assemblywoman, says her April arrest was the low point of a spiraling-down after she was the victim of domestic abuse a year ago. The photo’s awful.
- I don’t agree with #13 (he should be so lucky) but I’ll never stop laughing at 3 or 8: 13 moments that hurt Chris Christie the most
- Chris Christie’s dubious claim he saved $120B in the NJ pension system. Sal Rizzo’s first fact-check for WaPo is territory he knows
- Christie administration paid Bank of America $34 million to shift the NJ Lottery to the state employee pension fund
- Yeah, Tom Moran blew his own credibility on Christie, but these 3 final questions for Christie are ones I’d love to ask too
- Christie won’t be missed, not by the firefighters union
- Matt Friedman at Politico points us to the bonanza of board appointments Christie just made, positioning his friends and the always-protected Michele Brown to positions on ‘boards you probably never heard of.’ The Gov’s Office press releases won’t have Christie’s name on them much longer