BRENDAN BYRNE 1924-2018
Flags at half-staff today.
- NJ Spotlight talked with former Govs Florio, Kean & McGreevey, and Byrne biographer Don Linky
- Memorial 11 am today for Gov. Brendan Byrne at the Paper Mill Playhouse. To Dick Codey went the honor of planning the memorial.
- Springsteen and Byrne – and an arena that rocked
- Carl Golden: Recalling Byrne’s finest hour: His unprecedented decision to protect the integrity of the election that put his successor in office
DAMAGE & DAMAGE CONTROL – NJ AGAINST the TRUMP ADMINSTRATION
No drilling off the Jersey Shore – NorthJersey editorial calls on New Jerseyans by the thousands to join the state’s dedicated environmental advocates, who fight shortsighted plans by politicians who care little if anything for clean land, air and water, to put a stop to any proposals put forward by the Trump administration to expand offshore drilling in the Atlantic, and especially as it concerns our cherished Jersey Shore.
- NAILED IT: When Mexico pays for your wall, we’ll pay for our tunnel (Star-Ledger editorial)
- Which only makes the mission of taking back Congress even more urgent: Repeal & Replace takes its toll – ACA enrollment dips in 2018
- NJ may soon join an alliance to combat global warming, working cooperatively with 13 other states to achieve the aims of the Paris Climate Accord, which Trump pulled the U.S. out of late in 2017. FYI Here’s background on that particular foolhardy move.
- This is really creative – will it work? Workaround from Gottheimer and Pascrell could help NJ residents offset loss of SALT deduction
- Trump’s voter fraud commission is dead, but the treachery lives on (S-L editorial)
ACLU is calling on NJ officials to overhaul the state prison system’s book-banning policy after learning inmates were prohibited from reading a best-selling book on mass incarceration. That book? Michelle Alexander’s brilliant The New Jim Crow, which details how we have used incarceration and the removal of rights to create a racial caste system decimating families and communities of color
- Robocalls from Hell – New Jersey led the nation
GOV-ELECT PHIL MURPHY
Murphy and his family will be in Wildwood Sunday to lay wreaths at the Vietnam Memorial Wall and kick off series of inaugural events that includes his swearing in Jan. 16.
Wish I got more satisfaction reading this. But at least my coffee was great. Tom Moran: Christie is the most talented politician I’ve ever encountered and he blew it
CD7 – LEONARD LANCE’S DISTRICT
I open InsiderNJ and see this giant profile pic of Joey Novick. Great to see Max Pizarro in Flemington yesterday for Hunterdon Democrats’ CD7 Candidate Forum (and it’s great to see my hometown have state-worthy political news). But slight correction, Max. Yes, Joey was Upendra Chivukula’s campaign manager in his 2012 CD7 race. But it wasn’t Joey who worked for Rep. Rush Holt, that was me. Here’s Max’s write up of Hunterdon’s CD7 Forum.