BRENDAN BYRNE 1924-2018
- Brendan Byrne, former NJ governor and elder statesman dies at age 93
- Byrne as Governor: “The Man the Mob Couldn’t Buy” That time FBI surveillance showed mobsters complaining Byrne was too ethical to be bribed. That phrase was the New York Post’s headline, a reminder during the Watergate era, that not all politicians were corrupt.
- A 50-box collection of Byrne’s papers and materials is in a Rutgers library sub-basement. Here’s what’s in it.
- In Atlantic City, they’re remembering Byrne as the Gov who authorized gambling there. And environmentalists are remembering his protection of the Pine Barrens.
- Tom Moran: Byrne was a wonderful man, who happened to be our governor
- Charles Stile: Byrne guided New Jersey through a liberal transformation
- Michael Aron: A great governor has died
- Jim McQueeny on Byrne: “A life you’d buy if you could.”
- West Orange -> WWII -> Princeton & Harvard -> government service -> Governor. A timeline of Byrne’s life
- Great photo displays from NorthJersey.com and NJ.com.
- Talk midterms to me: Where we are – nationally & in NJ – in both houses of Congress. How many seats and how do we get there?
- Targeted: Money pours into New Jersey’s 7th congressional district ahead of 2018 primary
Cory Booker, who called the White House voter fraud panel a sham and introduced legislation to abolish it, welcomed the news that President Donald Trump was disbanding the commission.
“Fire and Fury”: Paterson-born writer Michael Wolff got access to the West Wing, because people there are so green, or dumb, they didn’t know who he was, and got close to Trump because all he had to do was flatter him. Now he’s written a book with an inside look at a White House spiraling down. And the White House is freaked out, in damage control mode, and trying to pretend Wolff wasn’t where he’d have to be to report what he did. And in Washington, the lines are out the door at bookstores.
How will Donald Trump screw this up?: North Korea accepts offer from South Korea to meet for peace talks
“Where’s my Roy Cohn?” New York Times on Donald Trump just losing it when he finds out his efforts get get Jeff Sessions to recuse himself in the Justice Dept’s Russia investigation are going nowhere. “Where’s my Roy Cohn?” He expected his AG to protect him. Actually, these two despicable human beings deserved each other. Roy Cohn was Donald Trump’s mentor and lawyer, and probably rescued him from a lot of consequences when Trump was a dirty businessman and Cohn a dirty lawyer. Trump had his Roy Cohn but he abandoned him when the closeted Cohn was dying of AIDS because he was afraid he’d catch it.
UNDER THE DOME
- Carl Golden: Sweeney sends Murphy a message from the Legislature’s power center
- Weather shut down the state yesterday, including the Legislature. They next meet Monday, and the Sweeney-led effort to push through a rate increase in lame duck before Murphy gets there has hit a big snag.
- As nuclear subsidy bill goes down, there’s fallout in a renewed Sweeney-Prieto feud and implications for Murphy’s clean energy plans
- Blizzard makes lame duck even lamer: Session ends noon Tuesday, Christie’s gone a week later. Here’s more of what the weather delayed
MORE NEW JERSEY
- Interactive map: More NJ seniors are out working or looking for work
- NJ Transit boss Steven Santoro resigns 2 weeks after Phil Murphy’s ‘national disgrace’ jab
- Speaking of Jeff Sessions, After Sessions move against legal weed, what’s next for NJ?
- And here’s another reversal of Obama-era policies come to ruin our lives: Trump may put oil drilling rigs off New Jersey beaches