He looks so miserable. Christie tried to use the VIP entrance he used at Newark Airport for 8 years as governor and got turned away and directed to wait in line like everybody else. Now he’s just a regular slob like us. Maybe it was the awful reputation Chris Christie gave the Port Authority, which has dominion over bridges blocked to punish Christie’s enemies, as well as Newark Airport. Christie fake-newsed the whole story as “pure fiction”. Photo: Andrew Harrer/Bloomberg
GOV. PHIL MURPHY
- Stephen Danley partied at the gala, went to the Kids Inaugural and watched Murphy’s campaign from South Jersey. Here are his takeaways.
Stormy Daniels: Trump lawyer set up a shell company to pay adult film star money a month before the election. Stormy once claimed she spanked Trump with a copy of Forbes Magazine – at his request. And – ewwwwww – Newsweek reports Daniels says Trump told her she was ‘just like his daughter’ by which one presumes he means the daughter he seems obsessed with and not Tiffany, who he seems not to notice.
- Donald Trump is the one person in America happiest he’s president. So he’s throwing himself a 1-year anniversary party – at $100,000 a couple
- Lawrence Lessig says Hillary Clinton could still become president, and Newsweek wrote that down
1-2-3! Jersey women are on the cover of TIME right now – Tanzie Youngblood (running for LoBiondo’s empty CD2 seat), Atlantic Freeholder Ashley Bennett (who beat the Republican incumbent who mocked the Women’s March) and Mikie Sherrill (who has eyes set on upsetting CD11’s Rodney Frelinghuysen).
- CD1’s Rep. Don Norcross gives an explanation why he voted against the House vote to keep the federal government up and running
- Wondering how the Democrats could screw even this up? Stoopid stuff like this: Nevada Dems’ new mascot: Mitch McTurtle
- Watch CD7 hopeful Peter Jacob make the case for campaign finance reform (Video)
- Gottheimer and Lance unveiled their plan to allow taxpayers to deduct their 2018 property tax prepayments from their 2017 income taxes
SUBS to the NORTH of ME, HOAGIES to the SOUTH, HERE I AM, STUCK IN THE MIDDLE WITH YOU
Critics say Jared Kushner’s Paramus alma mater was ‘unfairly targeted’ – The Frisch School, a private Orthodox HS, made national headlines after Haaretz.com reported the school allegedly “encouraged” students to write laudatory letters to Pres. Trump without parents’ permission. Local Jewish organizations say reaction to the story was ‘political’ and unfair, that the story blew out of proportion a private conversation between parents on Facebook.
- Official: Phil Murphy says Central Jersey does in fact exist. So, that’s where I’ve been living this whole time
- Amazon winnows their list down to 20. Tough luck, JC, New Brunswick, Camden. But Newark made the list, and we’re all supposed to be grateful
- Solidarity? Hello? Amazon-spurned Camden leaders cheer for Philly, not Newark to get the company’s HQ2
- Looks like neighborhood complaints and a post at Blue Jersey got East Brunswick to do better by their citizenry
- Lulz. Finally out from under Chris Christie’s thumb, NJ Republicans want to rebrand themselves. Jon Bramnick on tour now to ‘Rally the Reasonable’
- Seen at Lunello’s – Joe DiVincenzo, Steve Sweeney, and George Norcross with all their, uh, associates
- At a unity rally after Trump called majority-black nations “shithole countries,” Mayor Ras Baraka called Trump the racist he is
- Who are the Dems opposed to Murphy’s call to legalize weed? And who are the Republicans who might vote yes?
- Steve Fulop: He won’t be governor, might as well run for a 3rd term as JC mayor
- This lovely profile of Amy Andersen, NJ Teacher of the Year, who teaches (mostly) hearing kids ASL and respect
- The parties losing control: Independent groups put $45 million into NJ races last year, the ‘Big Six’ only $13.3 million
- Stile: Murphy must earn that $175k salary – The risk for Murphy, Stile says, isn’t the optics of a rich guy taking the paycheck, it’s job performance
- Politicians in D.C. use the extension of CHIP as a bargaining chip, putting kids at risk. New Jersey has money to pay for it … for a few months
- Immigration: What if DACA dies? Few options for NJ Dreamers.. Also, listen to Unsettled: A Story from the Global Refugee Crisis (WNYC)
- If Trenton mayor Eric Jackson doesn’t run for re-election, Reed Gusciora just might want to run Trenton
CORY BOOKER “Driving While Black”
- That’s what Al Doblin says the GOP outrage machine was really about this week. Booker was not ‘mansplaining,’ he was doing his job
- GOP tries to do a thing, and Twitter pees all over them: Totally with-it GOP attacks Cory Booker with hip millennial words, sounds like your mother
- Also – PolitiFact rates part of what Booker claimed as he addressed DHS Secretary Nielsen