DEMOCRAT DOUG JONES CAPTURES SENATE SEAT FORMERLY HELD BY JEFF SESSIONS BY 49.9 to 48.4
- Doug Jones and the Democrats won in a staunchly Republican state after a campaign marked by accusations of sexual abuse and child molestation against Mr. Moore. (NYT)
- Jones won a special Senate election, beating back history, an embattled Republican opponent and President Trump, who endorsed GOP rebel Roy Moore despite sexual misconduct allegations. (Birmingham News)
- Moore’s loss is a devastating blow for Republicans and a humiliating defeat for Trump.
- Democrat Jones stuns with win, but Moore says ‘it’s not over’ (WaPo)
- Jones’s victory scrambles the Republican congressional agenda. (WaPo)
- Murphy picks Bergen County prosecutor Gubir Grewal for attorney-General.
- A step forward for just one one of three recent prominent NJ Sikhs.
- Murphy’s pick could make American history – and combat Trump.
- Gubir Grewal will be good for Jersey, for Mahwah, not so much. (Alfred Doblin)
Assemblywoman Elizabeth Maher Muoio is set to be named the next state treasurer.
DEP controversial plan reveals a mile-long undesirable 300-boat marina at Liberty State Park.
After costly race, Norcross to raise funds for Sweeney Super PAC.
MacArthur still argues tax bill will help NJ residents.
State turned blind eye to sexual harassment at women’s prison, lawsuit charges.
Christie administration uses obscure committees and commissions to push through contentious construction plan, keeping Assembly and Senate out of the loop.
MONDAY’S NYC-NJ TERRORIST ATTACK
- A tunnel used by many New Jerseyans to get from Port Authority Bus terminal to subways where a terrorist set off a pipe bomb strapped to his body leads Cory Booker to call for more security at our rail stations.
- David Wall, 64, of Hewitt, N.J. checked himself into a hospital, seeking treatment for chest pains and ringing in his ears.
- A Port Authority cop from N.J. helped subdue accused bomber.
Under a bill sponsored by Sen. Weinberg that was sent to Christie late last week, New Jersey companies would have to fully reimburse workers who are the victims of wage theft, and also pay damages.
With ICE Arrests in N.J. Courthouses surging, NJ undocumented immigrants fearful of going to court, as they fear they will end up deported.
- I get it. He’s a powerful political boss, but Joe DiVincenzo connived with Christie and he violated campaign expenditure laws, so the political elite should not be supporting him for a fifth term as Essex County Executive.
- Montclair’s Jim Johnson, an under secretary of the Treasury during the Clinton administration who made surprisingly strong showing against Murphy in this year’s Democratic gubernatorial primary, may be considering a run against DiVincenzo.
- DiVincenzo predicts: ”Cory Booker — make a note of this — in 2020, he will be our next president of the United States.”
Murphy and his wife Tammy will be leaving Friday to visit Puerto Rico and tour areas hit by Hurricane Maria.
Trump administration named three New Jersey locations to a list of 21 Superfund sites to be immediately cleaned up, but the announcement does not come with funds and Rep. Pallone is skeptical.
This news won’t stop congress, but USA TODAY/Suffolk Poll finds just 32% support the GOP tax plan; 48% oppose it, and CBS News poll indicates 35% of Americans approved of the GOP tax bill, while 53% disapproved.