2018 CAME EARLY
Rural Progressivism: Could this strategy help Democrats overtake Leonard Lance in NJ7, and take the open seat in NJ2? Part 3 of Danley’s series at Blue Jersey examines the potential to win in parts of districts long conceded to the Republicans.
AROUND NEW JERSEY
Opposing positions at The Washington Post about Menendez: WaPo opinion writer James Downie wrote that now’s a good time for Dems to “ditch” the post-mistrial senator because of all the allegations against him. A criminal defense attorney in Newark counters that with a piece saying that’s a terrible idea
- Atlantic City: We can make fun of them, but they can’t. Miss America Organization loses TV partner after CEO’s emails ridiculed past winners. Really, the emails were not nice at all
- Flemington council members have badges too, but they’re like an inch wide. After a Hudson County traffic incident where a “badge” was flashed this question: Should freeholders have official badges?
- Environmental Defense Fund’s Fred Krupp: New Jersey should reject PSEG’s corporate bailout
- NJ may need updated law to keep up with shadow lobbying
- My hero: Professor Bill Crain gets another 15 days in jail for leaving the ‘designated protest area’ during a demonstration against the bear hunt
- Never a good idea to lose focus on your driving, but soon it might cost you more
Murphy accused Gov. Christie of “playing politics” in making a small accounting change to the public pensions system that will hike pension bills for the state and local governments by $800 million next year.
- NJ Spotlight’s on vacation, but they’ve left some reading for Gov. Phil Murphy (that’s the first time I’ve written his name out just like that).
- Murphy chooses Obama’s acting EPA administrator Catherine McCabe to head NJ’s DEP
- Where’s the Inaugural Ball? Why, at Met Life Stadium in an “engineered-for-winter” tent on the field. Here’s the Inauguration Week schedule
- We know Phil Murphy wants to fight the repeal of net neutrality, but Chris Christie’s still governor and he won’t join the multi-state lawsuit brewing
Did you think it couldn’t get worse? Try this on for size: President Steve Bannon (Vanity Fair goes down a dark path)
Want to figure out the Trump tax plan’s impact on you? Here are the best calculators
Some cities across the U.S. are doing this, including Jersey City; allowing residents to prepay their 2018 taxes to get the deduction Republicans are killing