Poem by Carl Sandburg, undated and unpublished, found recently in the Sandburg archives at University of Illinois. Sandburg died in 1967. Hat/tip Adrian DeVore.
Today: Frelinghuysen’s Columbus Day Sell-Out! (Also, DNC Chair Tom Perez in NJ, read below)
Monarch butterflies are migrating. They stopped in Bayonne.
Rutgers law professor on the Menendez trial: When a bribe is not a bribe.
Chronic problems in NJ Nursing Board put patients at risk, critics say
Want to see an end to online sales of ammunition? So do Frank Pallone and Bonnie Watson Coleman
Need hope for gun control? Think marriage equality. (The Auditor)
Joe Biden wants “compromise.” Progressives don’t want to hear it. (New Republic)
- NJ shifts affordable housing funds beyond the state’s inner cities
- Hefty paycheck. Rutgers gives Athletic Director Pat Hobbs a contract extension.
- Christie & opioids: Good cause, bad money-grab
- Oh, don’t worry. Counting the hours. Christie to Dems on dispute over opioid funding: Wait for the next Gov
- Ballot question closer to stop raiding of natural-resources damages paid to NJ
- Home team: State senators on both sides of aisle vow to fight Trump plan to kill SALT deduction
- Find your town: Tracking SALT deductions across NJ. In some towns, write-offs for state & local taxes are about $1,500; in others they can be more than $100,000
- Esp. if you’re an asshole Republican man, time to worry. After Trump, more women running for office in NJ
- Hi, Jen Beck. Big-name Democrats coming to Monmouth. Al Gore (Oct 15). Tom Perez (today).
- Kim is 5 less characters than Guadagno. Twitter took back the extra 140 characters it gave Phil Murphy
- Are Christie & Guadagno for more gun control with their stances on ‘bump stocks’?
- Meet NJ’s 2 newest state senators, Bell and Corrado. They’re also both running in Nov. 7 election.
Preparing to step onto the national stage, Rev. William Barber II says goodbye to the North Carolina NAACP he led, in a state conference where Cory Booker was the keynote.
- At Columbia Journalism Review, The Jared Bubble: What my 18 months as Jared Kushner’s first editor taught me about the Trump family and the press (Kyle Pope)
- New York Times: The Resistance, Raising Big Money, Upends Liberal Politics
- Bad actor: Mike Pence stages a protest to protest a protest and tries to make it look like spontaneous outrage
- Jackasses who like to waste the public’s money: Trump (bigly, at every opportunity) & Pence. Lots of money.
- ACLU files lawsuit against Trump administration over rollback of birth control mandate
- Only place Trump’s having success: Filling court seats with anti-LGBTQ, anti-abortion judges