Barack Obama blocks a jubilant Phil Murphy, but I doubt he minds. Yesterday in Newark. Photo: Estina Baker
MURPHY v. GUADAGNO & LEGISLATIVE RACES- SHOWDOWN NOV. 7
Quote of the Day to Ben Dworkin: “The experience in New Jersey has been that Obama’s popularity isn’t transferable.” Dworkin was making the point to NJ Spotlight that despite Obama’s active involvement with Corzine’s 2009 race, turnout wasn’t as high as Dems hoped.
- LD-2: In South Jersey’s 2nd, a surprisingly tight race for state senate seat
- Barack Obama, in first public campaign appearances in NJ & VA since leaving office, stumps for Murphy
- Gubernatorial race: See where your money’s going
- Elect the guy who wears comfortable shoes: Twitter takes notice of Murphy’s debate-wear
- Jeff Edelstein: All of the sudden, the Murphy vs. Guadagno race is getting interesting (and meaner)
- Who’s Up, Who’s Down: InsiderNJ’s look at the week of the 2nd and last debate
- Candidate that
can’t even getcan’t even have the current POTUS to campaign with her when he’s right in Jersey, poo-poos Obama’s rally with Murphy. SAD. And kinda obsessed with Harvey Weinstein
Trump was golfing when the body of Sgt. La David Johnson returned to the U.S.. It took him 12 days to speak about the Niger incident. CNN has a timeline.
Tfw George W. Bush does something to make the nation proud
Dug-up: Mike Pence’s article advising employers never to hire gay people: “Homosexuals are not as a group able-bodied. They are known to carry extremely high rates of disease brought on because of the nature of their sexual practices and the promiscuity which is a hallmark of their lifestyle.” Ladies & gents, the Vice President of the United States.
AROUND NEW JERSEY
Hats off to high school senior Naszire Johnson for organizing a silent protest this week that helped refocus students in the wake of racist comments and hallway scuffles at Washington Twp. High School (Gloucester)
- The long goodbye to Diane Allen, leaving the legislature after 3 decades, has begun
- Absolutely infuriating: Newark charter school touted by Christie weeks ago announces closure
- Newark says, Hey Amazon, Look Over Here (New York Times)
- Star-Ledger to Jersey City’s Steve Fulop: Release the corruption tape
- Ruin porn: The ‘Ghost Towns’ tour in the Pine Barrens. Great photos.
- Menendez corruption trial judge makes a questionable chauvinist remark in court
- Menendez meetings with officials were about policy, not friendship, staffers say
- Early polling for 2020: Here’s where Cory Booker stands with Dems in New Hampshire
- Hey New Jersey, Senate Republicans just declared they want to kill your property tax deduction
- Thanks (mostly) Pres. Trump & Republicans! The uninsured rate is going up again
Bernie Sanders will be in Puerto Rico instead of speaking at next week’s Women’s Conference in Detroit, after weeks of hotly-expressed outrage by women fans of Hillary Clinton that the organizers of the Women’s March would invite the man who ran against her.
Phil Murphy writes a column in The NJ Jewish Standard, saying it’s “time to urgently speak out against anti-Semitism,” discussing the proposed eruv in Mahwah, swastikas in Sussex, and his time as ambassador to Germany
Montvale sued for blocking eruv expansion
A Night at the Garden: While we’re on the topic of anti-semitism, filmmaker Marshall Curry – the Summit-born director of the Oscar-nominated 2005 documentary Street Fight about the rise of Cory Booker – has restored footage of a huge 1939 “Pro-America” rally that shows 20,000 Americans giving the Nazi salute to the American flag, a portrait of George Washington, and a Swastika.