Just up at Facebook from Joey Novick, my guy, upon reading that the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit has upheld the conviction of Bergen Democratic Chair Joe Ferriero, sentenced for 35 months in jail on convictions of racketeering and bribery:
“From 1996-2000, I served as Chair of the Hunterdon County Democratic Party—with 20 other county party chairs. Sadly, FIVE ** of those state chairs —25% of the total—were indicted and incarcerated for corruption at some point. Ferriero was one of them.
What is it with New Jersey and corruption in politics?”
Sigh. For the record:
- Joe Spicuzzo (Middlesex County Dem Chair). 9 years. Bribery. (* note)
- Robert C. Janiszewski (Hudson County Dem Chair): Sentenced 41 months in prison, despite turning govt witness. Extortion & tax evasion.
- Al Santoro (Ocean County Dem Chair): Bribery (Bid Rig scandal)
- Charlie Cart (Sussex County Dem Chair). 12 months. Embezzlement
- ** Sharpe James (Joey remembers this wrong. I don’t think James was County Chair, but he was the most influential Dem in Essex). 27 months. Fraud and conspiracy.