Outside the Minnesota Governor’s Mansion, after Philando Castile’s death at the hands of police. Photo: Stephen Maturen/Getty Images
Minnesota officer acquitted in the police shooting death of Philando Castile. Please watch the video again because this is what we allow to happen without consequence. Fiancee Diamond Reynolds streamed the immediate aftermath and Castile’s death onto Facebook, sitting next to her dying man while a screaming, shaking police officer points the gun into the car at both of them. Her 4-year-old daughter was in the car when Castile was shot. Castile, who had a license to carry, told the officer that, and was reaching for his license when he was shot.
Trump wedding planner pick to head NJ housing office in doubt, report says
Why are fewer refugees getting approval to come here?
Baraka set to announce re-election and council slate, but one council member opts out, and she’s being encouraged to run against him
Christie, 2015, running for president: “The fact that my wife and I, who are not wealthy by current standards …” The Christies pulled down $913,420, including more than $500,000 in deferred pay last year from NYC investment firm Angelo, Gordon & Co
Why is a sham auto business with alleged mob ties – known for “consumer and bank fraud, unpaid taxes, suspicious financial transactions, and other questionable, unscrupulous and possibly illegal activities” being served by new legislation that would further relax regulations, making it easier to cheat people? You’d have to ask Assemblyman Raj Mukherji of Hudson County, and other sponsors. Actually, you can ask the entire NJ Assembly which passed this 71-0, and passed the Senate Commerce Committee 5-1. Sweeney hasn’t said whether he’d put the legislation up for a full Senate vote.
Record reporter Catherine Carrera introduces the “Voting Block,” a project of several news orgs working together, to look at the Guv race by talking to voters in neighborhoods. More about that at WNYC
Wait, when Christie ran for president, he wasn’t wealthy! What happened??? Christie 2015: “The fact that my wife and I, who are not wealthy by current standards …” Christie 2017: The Christies pulled down $913,420, including more than $500,000 in deferred pay last year from NYC investment firm Angelo, Gordon & Co
- Shorter AP story: Can’t stand him. Christie struggles to recover as disappointment runs deep. 15% approval, 81% disapproval
- Christie’s activity campaign to make you despise him less
- 2 members of Chris Christie’s national commission on opioid addiction express concern that GOP efforts to repeal ACA will make matters worse
- Watch Christie’s first meeting of national commission on opioid addiction – the video starts at around 36:30 (dead air & title card before then)
- Bernie Sanders, Albio Sires, Don Payne Jr., Bonnie Watson Coleman. 3 NJ Dems also want to repeal the ACA – but only for universal healthcare
- Christie’s only here another 7 (long) months. Murphy backs legalization. Nick Scutari has a hearing Monday to outline a path to legalizing marijuana
- Varroa destructor? Why are half of New Jersey’s honeybees dying every year?
- Trump’s call for Cuba to extradite Joanne Chesimard (Assata Shakur) came after being pushed on the issue by Menendez and Christie
- Trump’s personal lawyer hires an attorney: Like a friend of mine says, When your lawyer lawyers up, that is not a good sign
- Another noose found near the new Museum of African American History and Culture on the National Mall in D.C – the 3rd in recent weeks.
Kim Guadagno’s biggest problem – Cartoon & commentary from Drew Sheneman