FYI – Blue Jersey has endorsed the NJ March for Science, and we can’t wait. – Rosi
Nowhere does the Republican Party’s disdain for facts have a more deleterious impact than in their denial of science. Creationists and climate change deniers are today’s flat-earth advocates. As a result, this year’s Earth Day (April 22) will see a nationwide awareness through Marches for Science at various venues. In Trenton, the march is being organized by Rutgers Physics Professor Matthew Buckley and by Elizabeth Meyer, who organized the Trenton Women’s march several weeks ago.
New Jersey is fortunate to have a real scientist influencing legislation. Dr. Andrew Zwicker is a plasma physicist and a member of the New Jersey General Assembly. He spoke about the nexus of science and politics at a press conference in the State House today where the march organizers released a preliminary list of speakers for the April 22 event.
Preliminary list of speakers:
- Professor Matthew Buckley – Assistant professor of physics at Rutgers University
- Professor Kimberly Cook-Chennault – Associate professor of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering at Rutgers University
- Rev. L.L. DuBreuil – Pastor of Faith United Church of Christ in Union, NJ
- Governor James Florio – NJ Governor 1990-94
- Professor David Hughes – Professor of Anthropology at Rutgers University and president of the Rutgers AAUP-AFT union.
- Laura Overdeck – Founder of the non-profit Bedtime Math and vice-chair of the Liberty Science Center
- Ed Richardson – Executive Director NJEA
- Professor Shadi Tahvildar-Zadeh – Professor of Mathematics at Rutgers University
- Jeff Tittel – Director – NJ Sierra Club
- Assemblyman Andrew Zwicker – Physicist and NJ Assemblyman
Some of the additional comments from other speakers at today’s announcement: