Stand up for science in Trenton on Saturday: “By denying science we are denying our future.” (S-L opinion)
Rep. Frelinghuysen (R-CD 11) still doesn’t get it: A breakfast dialogue between him and paying constituents is now only open to members of the Morris County Chamber of Commerce.
New Jersey Citizen Action buzzes MacArthur’s district.
Bail reform plan pits lawmakers against civil liberties advocates.
NJ ranks 7th in collecting the most income tax per person.
- State wants Argentine firm YPF investigated to see if it drained Maxus Energy of resources to wiggle out of paying for Passaic River Agent Orange dioxin contamination.
- Clean energy: “We could become first in the US with the right mix of ‘carbon pricing and revenue recycling.” (NJ Spotlight opinion)
CHRISTIE IN OUR REARVIEW MIRROR, FADING AWAY
- On Monday he continued his assault on Amtrak, but Amtrak now says its investigation is actually looking at issues with the disabled train, which was operated by NJ Transit.
- He has reinvented himself lately as the fiery advocate of weary rail riders and air travelers. (Charles Stile)
- A solution for massive sick time payouts? Maybe next year, with a new governor.
- He touts new south Jersey veterans program to streamline access to healthcare.
- TODAY: He is hanging out with Cory Booker at Newark Penn Station for remarks on “federal investment to Northeast Corridor transportation infrastructure.” (Matt Friedman)
IT JUST DOES NOT STOP
- Ex-Passaic mayor Alex Blanco gets 27 months in prison.
- Former AC councilman gets prison term for income tax scam.
2017 LEGISLATIVE & GUBERNATORIAL ELECTIONS
- In the LD 17 Democratic Primary incumbent Bob Smith faces Piscataway School Board President Bill Irwin, who says he is inspired by Bernie Sanders’s presidential campaign and calls for “progressives to run for office all across the nation.”
- Sources of income for each NJ gubernatorial candidate made available, but ELEC personal disclosure forms require almost no detailed financial data, and most candidates seem content to leave it at that.
- No surprise here. Guadagno: “No chance Republicans win control of the Legislature this year.”
- ELEC: The gubernatorial debates schedule.
- On North Korea: Trump must resist his inner MacArthur (not our Rep. MacArthur.) (opinion)
- Justice Gorsuch’s busy first day at the Supreme Court: He was far from shy raising numerous questions on several cases.
- Poll: Speaker Paul Ryan, he who wants to decimate the budget and failed to pass the AHCA, is even less popular than Trump, whereas, Bernie Sanders ranks among the most popular politicians in the U.S.
- Democrats have pledged not to cooperate on rewriting the tax code unless they see Trump’s tax returns and know how it might benefit the billionaire president and his family.
- Democrat just misses victory in Georgia House race: He now faces a runoff.
- “Hello, Jersey. We’d like to introduce you to Middle America.” For the next two weeks NJ Advance Media’s Matt Arco will be reporting from Middle America.