A personal thanks from me for everybody who came out for Progressive Hunterdon Democrats Gubernatorial Forum last night, and everybody who showed up at my congressman Leonard Lance’s offices in Flemington & Westfield to demand he vote no on the GOP’s latest effort to kill the ACA (and to all who showed up at every Republican congressman’s office last night, big thanks).
Protesting the Pending MacArthurCare Disaster: GOP’s next effort to ‘Repeal & Replace’ the ACA centers around NJ’s Rep.Tom MacArthur. Deciminyan joined the protest outside his office last nighted, talking to his constituents.
This is an emergency: How would this impact this state? NJ Policy Perspective has the numbers. And what’s wrong with the MacArthur Amendment? Basically, it’s the Trumpcare bill we helped defeat made even worse than before, allowing states to seek waivers to weaken several key Obamacare insurance reforms that protect those with pre-existing conditions – including the benefits insurers must cover in their policies and the ban on allowing carriers to charge more based on a person’s health background.
Could 4 million NJ residents lose healthcare? Want the short answer?
Pro-immigrant activists are rallying behind a Rutgers University student, summoned by ICE to a meeting with deportation officers next month. Carimer Andujar, president of UndocuRutgers, is a Dreamer and a campus leader.
- Star-Ledger editorial: Track the NJ congressmen who enable Trump: Ledger’s created a toolbox that let’s you check the ‘Trump Score’ of our congressional delegation, to see who’s helping POTUS take the U.S. backwards.
- The Record is Trump-tracking, too. In his first 3 months, Trump has proposed deep cuts to education spending and boosted school “choice.”
- Carve Trump’s face into Mt. Rushmore? ”Well, maybe the backside.”
- President Trump’s tax plan would eliminate a deduction that millions of people – largely high-income earners – in PA & NJ use to get a break on their state and local taxes.
- Hey, NJ, that steak you’re eating might have come from this ranch in Trump country.
- Kellyanne Conway – out of the loop?
- Republicans are willing to take away your Obamacare protections, but they want to keep theirs.
- Payne: Disaster plans must include children under this lawmaker’s bill.
- NJ senators Booker & Menendez ask NCAA to back sports betting, end ban on holding big events in state.
- “Problem Solvers Caucus”: A bipartisan group in the House co-chaired by freshman Rep. Josh Gottheimer is promising to support legislation to keep the government operating past Monday if it does not include ideological provisions, like the Republican “poison pill” provisions, like financing a Mexico wall or defunding Planned Parenthood.
HOW STUFF REALLY WORKS
- In New Jersey boss-run politics rule (paywall). The sad story of how politics really works here.
- Protesting the Democratic Party in a Trump World.
- This is how Gannett works. Gannett killing off more newspaper jobs in New Jersey.
- Snakes Not on a Plane. Something quite unexpected happened in a central Jersey classroom this week.
- DuPont not doing enough, angry Pompton Lakes residents say.
- Thanks, Gov. Christie! Region’s infrastructure unraveling as leaders search for direction.
- The gun rights folks want to own stun guns now, and they’re going to get to.
- Sad story: Invisible ‘bird killer’ lurks in revitalized New Jersey Meadowlands.
- Newark Police roll out body cameras for cops, dashboard cameras for cars.
- This is a good break: Deficiencies in the wetlands application for the PennEast pipeline may push it into 2018, when we’ll have a new governor.
NJ GUV CANDIDATES
- Guv candidate Jim Johnson gets an endorsement from a New Yorker who used to be a Trentonian.
- Hirsh Singh, a little-known candidate for NJ Guv, is suing the Election Law Enforcement Commission, arguing he deserves a spot in a pair of televised GOP primary debates even though he missed a key filing deadline.