“A billion here, a billion there, pretty soon, you’re talking real money.” State audit faults EDA for not making sure companies qualify for awards.” Nonetheless, after offering $7.5 billion since 2010, “lawmakers are once again moving to expand the tax subsidies. They should be instituting and tightening the spending caps not lifting them.” (NJPP)
Christie delivers draft legislation which would require state-regulated insurers to cover six months of inpatient or outpatient substance use treatment. Christie debuts himself in new TV ad promoting drug addiction treatment. Attorney General Porrino outlines opiate prescription limit changes with exceptions for cancer or end-of-life care.
NY Governor Cuomo makes power move on Port Authority as Christie’s eyes are elsewhere.
Gannett, owner of North Jersey Media Group sheds 141 employees, saying it seeks to transform itself into a digital powerhouse.
Just as petty and off-balance as Trump: Christie takes another stab at ending publication of legal notices in newspapers.
House passes NJ Representative Chris Smith’s anti-abortion bill in advance of this week’s annual anti-abortion march in Washington.
Trump’s freezing EPA grants will adversely affect NJ with 118 Superfund toxic waste sites.
After Trump approves DAPL and Keystone, NJ Assemblyman John McKeon pushes back.
See how your N.J. senator voted in failed override of Christie equal pay veto.
Newark’s iconic Hahne & Co. department store building reborn for a new age.
Democratic Party Chair Candidates Forum: Answering questions on how they would expand the committee’s reach and boost its effectiveness in the 2020 elections. (C-SPAN video)
Storm causes flooding, beach erosion at Jersey Shore.
TRUMP: HIS HEADPIECE FILLED WITH STRAW
- Trump, like one of T.S. Eliot’s hollow men, seems forever searching for something to fill his empty soul, however, “Between the idea and the reality, Between the motion and the act Falls the shadow.”
- He has shown that he wants to be a change agent, so he has been disruptive, but will he only “repair” or truly be transformative? Where is the shadow?
- Counteracting forces include the Republican Congress which may agree with many of his goals but seek a different legislation to achieve them, as is the case with infrastructure, Affordable Care Act, Russia, and taxes.
- Equally important, it will be up to the American people to continue fighting back as women (and men) on Saturday with defiant voices flooded U. S. cities.
- One voice: “I have a grandson who’s a white man. And hopefully that grandson will grow up in a society that will recognize when women or other people are treated unequally.” – State Sen. Loretta Weinberg to state Sen. Michael Doherty after he said he was tired of being denigrated as a white man “over and over again.” (h/t Matt Friedman)
- TODAY: Trump is expected to announce plans for the construction of a wall along the Mexican border. (The Mexican Secretary of State and of Treasury are in the USA meeting with Trump officials prior to the arrival of President Nieto Peña.) Trump also intends to slash the number of refugees who can move to the U.S., including from Syria and other majority-Muslim nations.