Clinton v. Trump
- SMDH. WTF has the Democratic Party done to us? Herb Jackson reports that along with Democrats’ tactic to paste racist Trump all over homophobe Scott Garrett, Republicans will in turn argue that Josh Gottheimer, our best shot to beat Garrett in years, should have to answer for his connections to the Clintons. People, that’s what you get when voter satisfaction with the two parties’ nominees is at its lowest point in 2 decades. Some 41% of voters said it was difficult to choose between Clinton and Trump because neither would make a good president, Pew pollsters found.
- Clinton 69, Trump 70, Sanders 75. In this cycle age was never made an issue. How it mattered to me: Which one resonates with young voters?
- The woman card – Hillary Clinton is playing it – and Trump is helping. She commands the highest level of women’s support in 4 decades, and widest gender gap ever recorded, which includes even some women who typically vote R. But other women – particularly under 35 – are driven less by support for Clinton than by antipathy to Trump.
- Also (possibly) on your November ballot: Polls show slight majority want a proposed constitutional amendment to dedicate gas taxes to the state’s transportation trust fund. But support for plans to expand casinos beyond Atlantic City is lessening.
- Trump’s convention: Only one NJ Republican congressman will even be there.
- Cory Booker on MTP: Recent racial incidents argue against electing Trump. (video)
Day jobs and auditions
- Christie cancels a town hall in Fair Lawn to free himself to be in Virginia today for Trump. (Might even be his last audition). Good thing public discussion of his insane school funding ideas isn’t important.
- Joan Quigley: Christie’s budget actions, vetoes were designed to hurt.
- At a NJ Spotlight panel on public-pension funding, Gov. Jim Florio, from the audience suggests federal intervention may be necessary.
- Jon Bon Jovi clearly tried to do a good thing in Ocean County, but this formerly homeless person says it was simply the wrong thing.
- Mike Kelly: Trenton fiddles while bridges rust.
- Camden’s parking director makes more than the mayor.
- NJ transportation stalemate is affecting long-term projects. Sen. Menendez: “At the end of the day, we can fight for all the federal dollars in the world, but overwhelmingly those funds need a match, and if you don’t have a match, you don’t get the federal dollars.”
Under the Dome
- A man left without a proper wheelchair for 2 years, another fed milk and hard food despite being lactose intolerant and at risk for choking. Democratic leaders are calling for a follow-up audit of disabled people living in group homes.
- Paul Tractenberg op-ed: Christie’s ‘Fairness Formula’ vs. Sweeney’s ‘Formula 4 Success.’ Neither, he argues, is the right solution.