Newark Mayor Ras Baraka wants to hear police leadership – and for “the good and righteous police officers” to stand up against the killings of Philando Castile and Alton Sterling. And he’s disappointed with the Democratic platform now being planned, saying it doesn’t “speak to real issues.” He applauds the minimum wage, and economics and class issues he sees there, but isn’t seeing things that “would go to the heart of it, including ways to address over-policing, pumice murders in the community and deep poverty. If those things don’t get in there, it will mean that we’re fighting for a party that is not fighting for us. Bernie’s run pushed the party farther to the left, but we are obviously still shaping the platform.“ [Quote in the graphic, from PBS Frontline].
“But when we see data that indicates disparities in how African Americans and Latinos may be treated in various jurisdictions around the country, then it’s incumbent on all of us to say, we can do better than this; we are better than this — and to not have it degenerate into the usual political scrum. We should be able to step back, reflect, and ask ourselves, what can we do better so that everybody feels as if they’re equal under the law?” – Barack Obama
Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders, Donald Trump
- New York Times reporting a bizarre scenario Trump is not denying, that he’s planning to win the presidency … and then walk away and never serve.
- AC Council’s not willing to let Trump – or his BFF Christie – off the hook for Atlantic City.
- Trump’s convention: List is growing of Republicans skipping the RNC. Not T-Mac.
- Pew poll shows satisfaction with the choice of candidates at its lowest point in 2 decades. Fewer than half of registered voters in both parties – 43% of Democrats & 40% of Republicans – are satisfied with their choices for president. And 41% say it’s difficult to choose between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton because neither would make a good president – as high as at any point since 2000.
- Since the beginning of the Dem primary, PolitickerNJ has checked in with an early Bernie Sanders advocate, David Robinson. Is he with Hillary now?
- Bernie Sanders is expected to endorse Hillary Clinton next week in New Hampshire, say Dems involved in the planning.
- If you were looking forward to ridding NJ of Chris Christie, you may have to wait. Sources advising Trump say Christie’s unlike for VP.
- But the audition continues, Christie is back from his Italy vacation and heading to Miami for Trump.
- Christie’s construction shutdown could balloon cost, industry official says. TTF work stoppage draws criticism as some call for compromise bill.
- Cities and service orgs want to know what happens to them now that Christie tied millions for municipalities & nonprofits in the state budget to negotiations over worker health benefit.
- Bridgegate defendants want those texts between Regina Egea and Christie. But nobody seems to know where his phone went. But in an ironic twist, long before Bridgegate, Gibson Dunn – paid $10M in taxpayer money to
investigateexonerate Christie – published a feature warning against “failure to preserve and produce” cell phone text messages in federal cases.
- Judge quashes a request by Bridgegate defendants Bill Baroni and Bridget Kelly for Christie’s cell phone and other electronic devices used by his staff,
- Republicans aren’t ready to give up the Clinton investigation but Bonnie Watson Coleman had other questions for James Comey. Proud of her.
- Bob Menendez condemns plans for daily flights from Newark to Cuba.
New Jersey history I did not know
113 years ago, Mother Jones walked across New Jersey with a ragtag group of child laborers to see Teddy Roosevelt. He shut the door on them.