Star Wars treat for you at the end of this Roundup. This is an open thread.
5th GOP DEBATE – Chris Christie:
- Called the guy who saved his ass in Sandy a “feckless weakling”, vowing he’d shoot down Russian planes daring to cross a no-fly zone.
- In trying to blame Obama for LA’s apparent hoax threat yesterday, revealed he has some weird 1950’s throwback ideas about women.
- Invoked 9/11 so often it bordered on the crass – Memo to Chris Christie: Let’s get something straight.
- NJ Dems had to point out Christie got his U.S. Attorney job through “political patronage, not on the basis of merit.”
- Got dinged by Rand Paul on Bridgegate.
- Trying to name-check Jordan’s King Abdullah, made (a meaningless mistake) saying he’d be more trusted by the dead King Hussein.
- Defended his remarkable comment about keeping Syrian orphans out.
- Stile: At debate, Christie pushes image of prosecutor and protector.
Channeling his inner John McCain: Post-debate, Christie to NH for 4 days on “Telling It Like It Is” bus tour. But while he’s AWOL, Democrats will set in motion a plan to circumvent Christie’s executive authority by pushing for changes to the NJconstitution in 4 key areas.
NOW, BACK to the MESS CHRISTIE IGNORES at HOME
- Republicans & Dems unveil competing economic plans, ambitious-sounding but hazy on the details.
- Borrow & spend. GOPers say they can fix the TTF without raising taxes: Borrow, overestimate revenue, and steal from public workers.
- Turncoat “Democrat” Joe D, charged by ELEC of misusing campaign funds for his own benefit, has so far skated because Christie has not appointed a Democrat to a slot that has remained open for 4 years in the watchdog commission that is supposed to be party-balanced. But now, the matter may be headed to appeals court.
- Hide your mortgage check. We steam ahead towards opening North Jersey to casino gambling.
- Stung by sharp criticism after abruptly dropping 3,000 disabled people’s housing aid, Christie administration tries to blame local officials.
- State auditor: In the final weeks before Christie administration closed a facility in Woodbridge for people with developmental disabilities, hundreds of state workers earned $2.7M just for showing up — including some seen playing cards and watching TV.
- Dead people get $2M in NJ property tax credits while home sellers lose $10M.
- We need to do this. Assembly Dems ready to try another veto override of Christie on gun bill. Meanwhile, sticking to her guns, Holly Schepisi signals she’s going to remain a Christie toady whether you like it or not.
- No pipeline. North Jersey officials huddling over ways to block Pilgrim Pipeline project.
THE STRUGGLE IS REAL.
Ben Carson has another “hummus” moment: Watch him say it: “Reince Pubis”
AND NOW, BECAUSE IT’S HUMP-DAY and YOU DESERVE IT: