State of the Union Responses

I’ll post New Jersey responses in the comments.

1. Hopeful (Post author)

“Tonight, I was pleased to hear President Obama outline ways we can create more ladders of opportunity for those working hard to climb into the middle class.  Raising the minimum wage, extending unemployment insurance, and increasing investments in education and job training are good steps forward toward growing our economy and reducing poverty in my district.

“In the greatest nation in the world, your ability to get ahead should not be determined by your birth, but rather by your hard work and ambition.  Those who work hard and play by the rules should have the opportunity to succeed in this country, and I refuse to turn my back on those who have done everything right and are simply looking for a helping hand up, not a handout.   I am happy to hear that the president will do everything in his power to help create more opportunities for people who are down on their luck, even if he must lead by example and take more executive action on his own.

“But, President Obama can only do so much alone. There are many issues I heard tonight that Congress can work on together and find common ground:  rebuilding roads and bridges, increasing job training programs, and working toward immigration reform.  We can grow the economy and put people back to work, but we must start the bipartisan conversations and remember that we are here, not to further our own political gain, but to help improve the lives of the people we represent. I am hopeful that the president’s speech tonight will be the first step toward an open and honest conversation because the people I represent who are living in poverty, who have lost their unemployment insurance, and who are looking for work cannot afford to wait any longer.”

2. Hopeful (Post author)

“I applaud President Obama’s focus on economic opportunity in this evening’s State of the Union address. Since I came to Congress 17 years ago, my mission has been to preserve opportunities for hardworking New Jerseyans, and I’m glad to see the President prioritize this vital issue. Working to get ahead in life is at the heart of the American dream, and bettering the chance at success is a commonsense goal which will grow our economy and improve the quality of life for all Americans.

“In particular, I support the President’s commitment to raise the minimum wage to $10.10 an hour for workers employed under federal contracts. My hope is that this is just the first step toward Congressional action to create a fair and livable minimum wage for all workers. I look forward to working with my colleagues to make a reality of a higher minimum wage for all.  In furthering efforts to boost job creation, I was also pleased to see the President endorse my legislation to end tax breaks for companies that ship jobs overseas and create them for ones that bring jobs home.

“I also believe that long term unemployment benefits must be extended in order to provide a lifeline for those who are still seeking the dignity of a good-paying job as our economy continues to recover. That’s why on December 12, I introduced H.R. 3726, the Long-Term Unemployed Hiring Incentive Act. This bill would provide tax credits to employers who hire long-term unemployed workers in order to increase their prospects of finding a job. I hope the President’s focus on this critical issue will result in action on this important legislation.”

3. Hopeful (Post author)

via twitter:

The temperature is supposed to reach 9degrees tonight, just the norm lately. Hey, whatever happened to global warming?

4. Hopeful (Post author)

“The president laid out a positive agenda that seeks to address some of the critical issues our country is facing. I was particularly impressed by his passion for increasing the minimum wage and holding Congress accountable. We were able to finally increase the minimum wage in our state and the president clearly recognizes the urgency for doing so nationally. He also touched upon an issue that for too long has gone largely ignored in New Jersey: income inequality.

“While President Obama pushes for economic fairness across the nation, we must pledge to keep doing so here in New Jersey. That means making college more affordable, restoring the Earned Income Tax Credit, reducing the cost and size of government, equal pay for equal work and having millionaire’s pay their fair share. These must be our priorities in the weeks and months ahead.”

5. Hopeful (Post author)

Note absence of Iran:

“I share the President’s optimism that the state of our union is getting stronger and appreciate his recognition that we have far more to do to create jobs, grow the middle class and ensure every American has the opportunity to reach her full potential.  For too long, the top one percent has enjoyed more than its fair share of breaks, while ordinary families are falling further and further behind.  Tonight, President Obama put forth a clear vision and a common sense plan of action to move all of our country forward by increasing the minimum wage, helping our kids start out on a level playing field, providing the skills workers need, investing in high tech jobs, making college affordable, ensuring our seniors can retire with dignity and security and developing a smart energy policy that focuses on reducing our carbon footprint and addressing the effects of climate change.

“I’m especially pleased to once again hear the President’s commitment to fixing our broken immigration system with a tough, but fair, earned pathway to citizenship.  I wholeheartedly believe that this is one of the most pressing issues we face as a nation, and one of the best opportunities to boost our economy.  And we can do it tomorrow.  Our bi-partisan immigration reform bill would pass the House if it were brought to the floor for a vote.  But now, after seven long months of waiting, I understand that House Republicans plan to pursue its own proposals and I anxiously await their action.

“We are strongest when we work together, when we act on the things that matter to ordinary families and when we recognize the strongest economy is one that works for everyone.  I’m ready to act.”

6. Hopeful (Post author)

Here’s the video of him threatening a NY1 reporter:

Michael Grimm

7. Hopeful (Post author)

“The President tonight laid out a hopeful vision for America where everyone, no matter their background or where they’re from, can achieve the American dream. He reminded us the path to that future begins with investing in our nation’s most valuable asset: our people. At the end of the day, we may not agree on everything, but believing in the American people should be a value that unites us all.

“I am committed to working with President Obama to follow through on his plan for expanding economic opportunity. That means high-quality early education for every child, raising the minimum wage and finally passing comprehensive immigration reform. Importantly, tonight’s message was delivered with the more than 90,000 New Jerseyans who recently lost their unemployment benefits in mind – folks like my State of the Union guest, Gerri Battista, an unemployed New Jerseyan, who just wants a chance to provide for herself and her family. It’s time for us to find the common ground necessary to take action to help people like Gerri and to do more to lend a hand up to the senior fighting to maintain a dignified retirement, the young person trying to find her first job and the minimum wage worker struggling to make ends meet. As the president said – and as I believe – ‘it’s within our reach.'”