Barbara Buono on Hardball (video)

Senator Buono was on Hardball tonight on MSNBC. Chris Matthews was his usual pitbull surface-interview self, and like his typical Q&A there are so many interruptions from him that he forces his guest into staccato sentence fragments wherever he can.

How do you think she did?

Brief ad. Just deal.

1. toaonua

…and Senator Buono did just fine. I’d LOVE to see her do a REAL in-depth interview (not the Hardball sound-bite type) with Maddow, Hayes, or Kornacki – 10 minutes with any of them and she’d really shine!

2. mmgth

Chris Matthews goes all “hardball” arbitrarily. He’ll hear out his “conservative” guests and respond agreeably even when going softball while basically arguing against their “conservative” talking points. Apparently a decision was made by Sen. Buono to remain low key and articulate and not be baited by Matthews talk over interruptions. I wanted to hear more of her and less of him. By the way, I don’t get the gift point and why a host of a political show can’t be criticized.

3. bluescat1

I have been a fan of the show since it first aired but your treatment of Senator Barbara Buono leads me to think Scarborough gave you a call and told you to not let her get a word in. Come on Chris no wonder Christie has a large lead you guys are all in the tank for him. Barbara is a good person if only she could get her message out to the people, you treated her like she was up by 40 points. I am very disappointed.

4. Jeff Gardner

Is he always in such a hurry? I felt like I was watching a cooking segment where the host misjudged how long he/she has to finish the meal prep, and needs to race through before the cut to commercial. Weird.

(Buono was good though.)

5. Alex

Chris Matthews likes to hear the sound of his own voice (and inane laugh) even on a good day. That means it’s difficult for others to get any points across. Just listen to him ask even one of his regular guests a question. He drones and on and allows the guest a few seconds to reply, often cutting them off. I suppose some find him entertaining. But informative? I’m not so sure.

6. JeffO Teaneck

Is so caught up in his “hard ball” brand that he doesn’t care enough whether he’s calling strikes or balls. “Answer my question!” doesn’t take into account that he’s the one who keeps changing the strike zone.

The other problem is that he (1) really knows less about our swinishly behaved governor than most informed Jerseyites and (2) desperately wants to be able to point to a “good” Republican to bolster his fatuous (pun unintended but serendipitous) ideal of a Republican capable of genuine bipartisanship.

So Buono came into that interview behind an outsized eight-ball. And all things considered, she did pretty well.

And while I guess I’d rather see Lawrence O’Donnell give her the right-in soft balls than Chris Matthews give her the wild, off-the-mark “hard balls,” I’ll take either of them over creeps like Bill O’Reilly and Sean Hannity. But better yet, when in Rachel Maddow having her on?

7. Babs NJSD

It’s only spring training now! She’s gonna see hardballs, softballs, curves and knucklers. We need to help her build a GOTV infrastructure and start chipping away constantly at his advantage.