Who is the Democratic fool who said this about Barbara Buono?

Who’s the jerkoff “top Democrat” in the NJ Democratic Party who gave this quote to The Daily Beast?

“She kicked the governor in the crotch at every opportunity, and that is how she became known, but she is also the default candidate,” said one top Democrat. “It was 2 a.m. and the bar was closing, and Barbara was looking pretty good, frankly.”

Hey, “top Democrat,” whoever the hell you are: Anybody who talks like that about Sen. Buono or any woman in elected office in New Jersey had better not meet me in a dark alley.

Great work. Outstanding. We’ve got a governor who routinely insults women legislators, defunded healthcare for women in need, and is protecting Jersey’s wealthiest at the expense of the kind of struggling family most single mothers I know are leading.

To have a shot at unseating the showboat that is the current governor, this Party will have to call Chris Christie out on his record with the majority sex in this state. Thanks for playing, genius.

1. Jeff Gardner

Quite apart from being offensive or ill-advised – which this quote obviously is – it’s also not at all the experience of so many of us who thought Senator Buono was a great candidate from day one.

2. carolh

there are still throw backs in our own ranks.  Guys who obviously did not witness the trouncing of Mitt Romney due to the gender gap.  Thankfully guys like this are dying out and young women are running for office.  Buono has a lot of support.  Leave it to a guy who was probably all alone in the bar every night because he was a neanderthal and couldn’t figure out why, to come up with that analogy.

3. deciminyan

I have had the good fortune to interview Senator Buono a few times before the start of the election season, and when it became clear that she was running for governor, I was thrilled. She’s the candidate for governor not because “the bar was closing”, but because she has the guts to stand up for the Democratic (and democratic) principles that represent the leanings of a majority of New Jerseyans. While some of the other former contenders would have been better than the incumbent, Barbara Buono brings the best of the insider and maverick to the race. And although she can be tough and spar with the best of them, she’s a genuinely nice person.

4. 12mileseastofTrenton

Joe D, Stack, Sweeney, maybe Lesniak.

5. danpreston

will be to work like hell to make sure Buono is our next governor!

6. Jersey Jazzman

I belong to a party that puts the guy who said this at the “top.”

When will we learn?

7. ken bank

OK, so I’m a neanderthal who used to stay at bars until closing looking for Ms. “Right”. Anyway, I don’t find it at all offensive, although I understand why some would be offended at the analogy. In fact I view it as a compliment to the Senator for her feistiness in standing up to His Arrogance when every other Democratic leader was either embracing, compromising with him, or running away. Like Alice Kramden taking down Ralph Kramden she stood up to the “Great One” and told him where to get off (I hope the “Honeymooners” analogy is politiclly correct, I don’t want to offend anybody but His Arrogance always reminds me of Jackie Gleason).

As to her being the default candidate, let’s be honest before Cory Booker dropped out practically everybody was begging and/or expecting Cory Booker to get into the race. They were cheering for him like teenage girls screaming at Justin Bieber. I recall even Senator Weinberg, as progressive as anyone can get, posted a diary on this website calling on Booker to get into the race, which rather surprised me since I thought she would stay neutral in deference to Senator Buono until everybody else made their decision. Then when Booker dropped out it was ABB time (Anybody But Buono) with names like Sweeney, Codey and even Pascrell being tossed around. Ironically it was George Norcross, and even Joe D., who started talking like maybe Senator Buono wasn’t so bad looking (as a candidate) and that maybe the other potential candidates should either fish or cut bait (there’s another analogy but it’s rather crude so I won’t use it, I’ll just leave it to everybody’s imaginatiion).

I got the impression that this “top Democrat”, like most other Democrats, initially wanted someone other than Barbara Buono, but now that he’s taking a closer look realizes that she may be a better candidate than everybody thought.

8. ken bank

OK, I’m not 100%, but read this article from PolitickerNJ and you may come to the same conclusion I did.

Basically he was saying Barbara Buono was the only candidate out there willing to take on His Arrogance, the bar was closing (in effect) and it was time for Democrats to rally around her candidacy.

9. Babs NJSD

If, in fact, anyone really said this they are jerks! OK… Let’s move on and elect Barbara!

Less talk, more action! Let’s go to work!

10. denniscmcgrath

Sheila Oliver, for one …

I find that intriguing.

11. rubybegone

He’s already looking for a alternative to Buono ….

12. Rosi Efthim (Post author)

I just killed a comment by D36Dem, who posted a comment here calling a female member of Senator Buono’s campaign staff an insulting word beginning with a “c” – the word that describes female genitalia.

Do that again, D36Dem, and you’re banned.

D36Dem also claimed s/he was a Democratic county committee member who is voting for Christie. While I strongly doubt D36Dem (who signed up for an account a couple minutes before posting that comment) is anything but a GOP concern troll, I think the point made by Monmouth Chair Vin Gopal to that person is correct: If you’re actually a county committee member, you should resign. If you don’t, and your Dem county chair knows who you are, he or she should seek to replace you.