Barbara Buono’s Minor Car Accident Last Night

Jon Corzine, his body nearly broken by a spectacular high-speed car accident on the GSP, made the mother of all Don’t do what I did videos. Corzine was in the back seat of the car – before NJ law required passengers there to buckle up – and his accident was a life lesson for New Jerseyans, and a teachable moment for every over-scheduled politician in America.

Last night, Sen. Barbara Buono had a far more minor car accident on Easton Avenue near Cedar Grove Lane in Franklin Twp., a road with many fender-benders. She sustained minor cuts to the face and was treated and released by Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick. She was in the back seat, and she was not wearing a seat belt.

New Jersey’s Seat Belt Law: (NJS 39:3-76.2f):

On January 18, 2010, legislation was signed into law requiring all occupants to buckle up, regardless of their seating position in a vehicle. A secondary offense, the new law allows police to issue summonses to unbuckled back seat occupants, 18 years of age and older, when the vehicle they are riding in is stopped for another violation. The law is effective immediately.

As you see, seat belt use – even riding in the back – is now required by law. But a lot of people, including those who wouldn’t dream of driving without a seat belt in the front seats, don’t wear them in the back. Some life lessons need to be taught over and over again.

Senator Buono, I’ll speak plainly: We need you. You’re our standard-bearer against Chris Christie, and we’re proud of that. Don’t do this again.

Buono tweet a few minutes ago:

Thanks for all the well wishes. Grateful everyone’s fine. Don’t make same mistake as me: wear a seatbelt no matter where you’re sitting. -BB

1. Jeff Gardner

Glad it was an easy lesson, and that everyone is ok.

2. Carl Bergmanson

Was she issued a summons?

As majority leader, Barbara Buono pushed through NJ’s Back Seat seatbelt law that requires all passengers – even in the back seat – to wear their seatbelt at all times

While I’m glad that she wasn’t seriously hurt, Senator Barbara Buono continues our state political machine’s official policy – the rules we make are for other people – not us.

Aren’t we all tired of the hypocrisy?

Vote for Real Change –

Carl Bergmanson – Democrat for Governor

3. Nick Lento

…lessons Buono needs to learn from Jon Corzine about how not to do things.

Thank God she’s ok…we truly must all vote to change governors on election day!

4. Brook39

click on that youtube link

5. Rosi Efthim (Post author)

Due respect, but I hardly think Buono’s failure to buckle up was any kind of expression of what you call “our state political machine’s official policy – the rules we make are for other people – not us.” I think it was a simple mistake – a common one – signifying little beyond a simple mistake.

I wish she had been belted in – for a host of reasons including her safety and a better example for others. But I would wager that a lot of people don’t use a seat belt in the back seat – I’ve been guilty of that myself – and also that people don’t know NJ law now requires it. I’m a pretty smart cookie and I didn’t know till I looked it up this morning. I’d bet you’ve failed to buckle up in the back, too, sometimes.

Thanks for letting us know you’re running for governor.

6. Carl Bergmanson

First of all, as we said above, thankfully she wasn’t hurt.

Everyone makes mistakes – but when a legislator pushes legislation and then fails to abide by it, she serves as a really good example of everything that’s wrong with NJ government. Wearing (or not wearing) a seatbelt is habitual – chances are the fact that she was not wearing a seatbelt indicates she often does not.

7. Rosi Efthim (Post author)

You say:

“In the interest of full disclosure, I was (and am) opposed to the NJ backseat seatbelt requirement for adults that was passed in 2010 – even though I think wearing your seatbelt – especially when someone else is driving – is a smart thing to do.”

I think your statement above very largely discredits your own conclusions at Buono’s failure to buckle up.

8. Carl Bergmanson

I’m not criticizing her for merely not wearing her seatbelt – I’m criticizing her for pushing the bill through the senate requiring all of us to wear our seatbelts, and then failing to wear her seatbelt.

It’s classic “do as I say, not as I do”.