Time for my next step

Before I talk about my next step, I wanted to take a quick look back in time. Over 7 years ago, I was a field organizer in Northeast Iowa on the Howard Dean for President campaign. I would read the Dean for America Blog at night and write to people from New Jersey who would post. One of those people at the time was Juan Melli, a student then at Princeton University. We started talking Jersey politics and as I stayed in Iowa following the Dean campaign to manage a Congressional race in 2004, we kept in touch.

When I returned to NJ following the 2004 elections, I would eventually meet Juan at Princeton when he was involved in the filibuster against Frist in 2005. He told me about this idea for a blog and the next thing I knew in September 2005, I was a founding member of the then BlueJersey.net

Through the years, my jobs have changed and my involvement in Blue Jersey increased as I began to write more regularly, became the Technical Director of the blog and started co-hosting Blue Jersey Radio with Jeff Gardner.

As much as I have enjoyed my ride here on the blog, it’s time for my next step. I have been offered the position to become the Communications Director of the New Jersey Democratic State Committee. I recognize that the position probably wouldn’t even be available to me if I had not been involved in this blog, but I also recognize that this blog has never been and cannot simply be an extension of the state party itself.

I’ll be following in the footsteps of the many front pagers that have come before me and moved on to make an impact within the Democratic Party and in the media itself. Before JRB was writing for Salon and Huffington Post, he was posting here at Blue Jersey. Prior to Juan Melli working for Dawn Zimmer and Jon Corzine, he founded our little site. Jay Lassiter worked on the campaigns of Rob Andrews and John Adler after he was Blue Jersey’s statehouse correspondent. Before Thurman Hart was writing an online column at NJ.com, he was taking people to task on this blog. Brian McGinnis handled Blue Jersey’s morning roundup before moving on to Garden State Equality, followed by Pam Lampitt and Lou Greenwald’s Legislative office. Before Jeff Gardner was a Party Chairman, he was and still is a front page blogger. While Rosi is busy actually running the blog, she also has her hands in more going on across this state than I can even name. And the list goes on and on with involvement from the people here at Blue Jersey in the party, in government and on campaigns in New Jersey.

So much has gone on in my time at Blue Jersey which has not only been fun to be a part of, but a source of great pride. We had huntsu on the trail of Chris Christie before anyone else wanted to pay attention to what was going on. We caught a staffer on Tom Kean Jr.’s campaign astroturfing the blog from their own headquarters, which is still cited in her wikipedia page. We’ve covered live events with everyone from Barack Obama and Bill Clinton, to Bon Jovi and Jon Corzine. Hosting the radio show with Jeff Gardner, Adam Lambert, JRB and whoever else wanted to join us has been an absolute blast. Having my name even associated with the Think Equal campaign and the ads that were created for the Marriage Equality push was an honor. Seeing first hand photos from Rome of the Coliseum lit up when NJ abolished the death penalty literally sent chills down my spine. And recently we even helped lead the fight to save the SCI from the power grab of a Governor.

Someone once told me that Blue Jersey helped serve as the conscience of the Democratic Party, which I often took great pride in. They said we served as a farm team giving progressive Democrats a platform to hone their message and communications skill. Just as I have followed others in moving on to influence the party in a different capacity, I hope other readers here will take advantage of the opportunities Blue Jersey presents and the potential it holds. Thank you all for an amazing ride and I look forward to continuing the fight, just in a different capacity and forum. It has been an absolute honor for me to be associated with Blue Jersey and the people who contribute to make it what it is.

Thank you all for an amazing ride.

Jason

1. rmfretz

Best wishes for the new opportunity.

2. Jay Lassiter

but thankfully for me i can hop on my bike and come over to see you whenever i need my jason fix.

🙂

3. Matthew Jordan

And good luck, keep up the good fight.

4. princetonblue

You’ve done a great job here.   I will miss you.

5. Bill Orr

You have unearthed scandalous comments, previewed upcoming activities under the dome, illuminated current events on BJ Radio, and brought many important issues to our attention with thoughtful analysis.  Thank you. You will make a great addition to NJDSC, and hopefully we will continue to see you occasionally  on Blue Jersey.

6. ken bank

Quite frankly I was hoping you’d replace that Christie cheerleader disguised as a political reporter, Bob Ingle, as political editor for Gannett Newspapers.

I will miss your political reporting and analysis, especially in South Jersey and Ocean County, where I live.  You did a better job than all the regional papers, including the Asbury Park Press, combined.

7. Nick Lento

It is my sincerest wish that you become deeply entrenched and influential within the State Democratic Committee so that the best qualities that Blue Jersey has brought to our party (i.e. a progressive conscience) will further permeate within the halls and offices of the establishment of which you will be a part!

In plain English…..I hope you bring them around to our way of thinking more than the converse.

As you know, it’s been my belief for years that the future of the Democratic party in NJ must be far more aggressively progressive if we are to win elections.   And that move needs to be substantial, not just atmospherics.

Please, don’t ever hesitate to take Christie on…..head on!  When Democrats fight and stand tall and strong for our core values, we win!

8. Jersey Jazzman

This is what it should all be about – progressives becoming part of the Dem party infrastructure via grassroots/netroots action.

All the best, Jason.

9. ScarletKnight

You are a Sellout

10. DottieG

Their gain, our loss indeed!  We will all miss you, Jason, and your splendid work, but I know you will do a great job for the NJ Democratic Party (they really need you) and I’m looking forward to the results!

11. JRB

and many more ahead.

12. Jeff Gardner

You have been such an incredible asset to the progressive blogging community, and a great friend. Do us proud in your next adventure!

13. Hopeful

It’s been a pleasure working with you, and I wish you lots of success in your new job.

14. carolh

What a beautiful farewell though.  You captured the spirit of Blue Jersey perfectly.  It is an amazing gift to the residents of New Jersey for a blog to bring the voices of the people straight to the legislators and the legislators voices straight to the people without any filter.

Politics and elections are necessary to fill the halls of government with capable, ethical servants.  I think you will do a great job in your new endeavors.  Best of luck!