Sunscreen, deck chairs, and political illiteracy – the Kill the Bill Rally in D.C.

I was in D.C. yesterday at the Code Red Rally to Kill the Bill on Capitol Hill. You’ve already heard the most egregious news:

Kill the Bill Rally sign (Tea Party) March 2010 in D.C.

Congressmen John Lewis called a nigger.

Congressman Barney Frank called a faggot.

Congressman Emanuel Cleaver spat on.

An afternoon in the sun with my overwrought, but politically/historically illiterate, countrymen is an eye-opener. Reasonable arguments can be made against this bill – from both sides – but I heard none of them yesterday. What I heard convinced me more that the Tea Party, out in force in our nation’s capital, is likely to do more harm to the GOP than it may do to us. From a civic perspective, I have to like that the Tea Party brings out masses previously disengaged, but as yet they haven’t moved beyond fist-waving. They generate noise, but so does a tantruming 3-year-old, with as much historical perspective.

We encountered mostly non-voters (I asked) who wanted to “take over” Congress with no recognition of the irony that they already have the power to do that, but fail to exercise it. The rhetoric was 100% spewage from Glenn Beck in a universe where talk show hosts are deemed 100% credible.

These people simply didn’t know stuff. Old guys on Medicare “horrified” at government health care. A lady: this “takes away my Medicare.” Her friend: “no, it means we have to take Medicare whether we want to or not.” Reconciliation demonized, but eyes glaze with the news that all major changes in health care in 3 decades came via reconciliation … and Republicans use it too.

Tea Party tries to liberate

Rayburn Office Bldg. (click to enlarge)

Tea Party tries to liberate Rayburn House Office Building After a couple hours rallyers were supposed to lobby. But it was a nice day, and lobbying’s not fun like a lawn party. So, as conservative star power like Michele Bachmann (R-Minnesota), Mike Pence (R-Indiana), Tom Price (R-Georgia) and Marcia Blackburn (R-TN), and a coiffed, shiny Jon Voight moved among adoring white people, rallyers re-applied sunscreen and looked for trouble.  A mob tried to liberate the Rayburn House Office Building, bewildered as to why Capitol Police denied them overtake of the building.

It’s mind-numbing how many of these people are uninsured themselves and can’t do the math that they’re working against their own interests. Joey Novick got great video of the confused. This is your opposition:

Zero health coverage, doesn’t want the govt to euthanize him

Lady Liberty wants her freedoms (but has no zero health coverage)

1. Rosi Efthim (Post author)

Yeah, I hated to type out the word nigger and the word faggot. I went back on forth on it. But ultimately I chose not to use the socially acceptable euphemisms, because what was said, was said in the light of day right out in front of the Jesus most of these people invoked all day long, and it is they who don’t deserve to have what they said euphemized and made safe for polite Sunday reading.

2. denniscmcgrath

THANK YOU! This post is the reason I continute to read BlueJersey!

3. Rosi Efthim (Post author)

I see our fellow blogger Maryscott O’Connor, from My Left Wing posted here at Blue Jersey, turning the heat up on reform-perfectionists on our side of the aisle.

Read Maryscott here.

4. Winston Smith

Stop Obama’s Wars

5. tabbycat31

and being able to maintain your sanity— I definitely could not when surrounded by teabaggers (like at Pallone’s town hell meeting this summer).  Reports like this that expose them for the racists they are need to go viral.

I was in DC earlier this week for a school trip and we only saw a handful of them.  I personally did not get into it with any of them but someone in my group did.  He’s about to lose his healthcare on his birthday (ages off his dad’s plan).  They were in Washington all week.

I’m hoping that after this bill passes the movement will go away but I am not optimistic on it.

6. Alex

You have my deepest respect (well, you already did), Rosi, for wading into that crowd of ill-informed, bigoted, angry, and hard-hearted people. Judging from the venom coming from their mouths and the threats of violence on some of their signs, I’d fear finding myself surrounded by them.

7. IndependentNJ

…is a watered down conservative piece of legislation.

Could you imagine a world 10 years after HR 676 goes into effect.

“My kid would have died from cancer had HR 676 not passed, but its still a socialistcommunistnaziobamarapistindonesiaracist law, and I wish I could go back to the old days of insurance denials for pre-existing conditions”

8. NNadir

…with his high school robotics team.

First he went to Richmond, VA, where the competition was held.

He saw the “Joker” poster down there, after getting off the train.   It was on a “gentleman’s club.”

He said the kids were all making fun of the teabaggers.

I told him to stay away from those people.   They’re nuts, pure and simple.

9. Jeff Gardner

5!

10. lfurman

Do you have images of Glenn Beck, Palin, or McCain as “The Joker?”